My Fishing Partner Is A Doofus.

rps

I was able to finish my must do's yesterday and went out fishing this morning.

My partner and I spent about an hour chasing the small number of fish exploding on the 1 inch shad. I managed to catch four with one an almost keeper as well as a white bass. My partner suggested we try out the new leadcore rig for walleye. Fished a small crank at 24 to 25 feet on a flat for a while. Pulling leadcore is much like dragging in a tree limb you have broken off. Nothing bothered to hit the baits.

We ran down to Eagle rock area to fish a flat that humps and falls into the channel. Found a friend already fishing there and he said he had caught two off the hump at 24 feet and both nearly measured legal. Tried the leadcore there and also fished a worm harness. Burned up a box of crawlers catching bass and bluegill before I finally caught two almost legals back to back.

My partner wanted a change and suggested we fish timber. I motored to a good spot and started long line trolling at 24 feet. Two stops later and I was down to 32 feet and still hadn't connected with anything other than small bass.

I finally decided to ignore my partner and switched to the third spot where I fast trolled a crank at 18 feet deep. Caught a keeper right away. I had another, larger fish hit and got it to the boat, but my idiot partner wasn't ready with the net the first time I brought the fish up. On the lunge dive the fish came unbuttoned.

That was it, I fired my partner for his bad advice and inexcusable net handling. He refused to get out of the boat!

I went back in to the dock then.

BTW - I was fishing alone.

Remind me NOT to fish with you, if you're that hard on yourself!!! That was good!!! I thought you had to be fishing with your wife. Still not a bad day on the Rock!!!!

I began to develop a smile before getting to the last line. Funny post and I had a feeling it was you. My partner 3 weeks ago broke a Razr rod in half and then 2 hrs later he had to quickly dive in to stop his calcutta/falcon combo from finding a resting place on the bottom. Good thing I didn't laugh too hard because last week we were at it again and I opened up a front deck locker lid and was peering inside when I heard a small clunk followed by a subtle splash. Almost instantly I deducted what I had heard and quickly looked over the top of the open lid and saw my Daiwa/Shimano combo quickly disappearing into the stained depths here in Totoland. I was lucky but wet when I surfaced.

That was funny! I have had days with a fishing partner just like that. :yaeh-am-not-durnk:

Jeremy Dodson

Interesting take on a rough day! I usually just laugh at myself. I fished Baxter on sun and hooked into a nice fish and as it went straight down I realized it was a decent channel cat. Stupid me, with the net on the deck I haphazardly went for the swing into the boat... Snap! Haha I know better :) some fish deserve a free pass I guess

I know the doofus... He's so bad he netted an almost 14 pound walleye by himself on July 8th, as well as the puny little 10 pounder he caught a week or two later....Gee, he netted that one also.. What a doofus !!!! ( lol )