Shuttle Service At Mason Bridge?

• Members

I'm looking at doing a 2.5 day float (Put in Thurs evening late, pull out noon-ish on Sunday) on the BP in a few weeks. Looking at the map I think we'd be best suited for a Mason Bridge to Ross float to allow plenty of fishing and such. I'd really like to put in somewhere and then pay to have someone shuttle our truck down to Ross and have it waiting there for us on Sunday. Is there any campground that would offer services like that right at Mason Bridge? I've seen that there is a resort up at Boiling Spring but I'm worried we wouldn't float fast enough for the additional milage.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few years back, Boiling Spring shuttled me for a float from their place to Slabtown...they probably wouldn't have done it on a weekend, but this was during mid-week when they weren't busy. But even then, they were complaining that their insurance company was giving them fits about doing private shuttles unless they used their own vehicle, so I suspect that they wouldn't be interested in doing the shuttle you want them to do. There are two campground/canoe rentals at Ross, but given what they charge for a shuttle just up to Six Crosssings, I suspect they would want an arm, two legs, and an eye to shuttle you all the way up to Mason Bridge. I don't remember there being a campground at Mason Bridge, either. And you can probably forget it if you are going on a busy weekend.

If you have the time, you might want to drive down ahead of time and scout out the area, looking for little country convenience stores close to either Mason Bridge or Ross. Since there aren't any real towns close by, you might not find anything, but I've gotten shuttles a bunch of times by walking into a little store/gas station or a mom and pop motel and asking if they knew of anybody who'd want to shuttle me for $20-30. Seems like they always have a friend or relative wanting some spending money!

Lovin it JoeD! As someone who has never camped outside of the backyard, LOL and who wants to, you help remind me of why motels are awesome, LOL!!!!

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

• Members

I'll choose motel over hillbilly buttsex any day... But until I hear banjo's I'll assume no fool play by the locals....

Thanks for the info Al, I suppose I could put in at Boiling Spring and pull out at Six Crossings; that'd get my distance about right but I have a feeling I'd be missing some great stretches between Six Crossings and Ross; not to mention if Boiling Spring still does private shuttles.

I'll choose motel over hillbilly buttsex any day... But until I hear banjo's I'll assume no fool play by the locals....

Thanks for the info Al, I suppose I could put in at Boiling Spring and pull out at Six Crossings; that'd get my distance about right but I have a feeling I'd be missing some great stretches between Six Crossings and Ross; not to mention if Boiling Spring still does private shuttles.

Between 6x and Ross you will miss some fine scenery and what is usually some so so fishing. Your float from Mason to 6x might just be the sweetest water on the whole river. FWIW 6x is private, I don't know if that matters.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

I'd call both Boiling Springs and Rich's. Six Crossings isn't private. It's mostly a place for horse riders to cross. Would I leave my car there? Eh, probably not. Are you missing great water below there if you stop (at 6x)? Yes. Some. But there's great water above there too. So, fish a longer stretch, covering more water (to Ross), but risk less thorough fishing. Or, shorten your float, and fish "harder", with less clock-watching. Both outfitters will do what you want. For a price. That's where you get to use your brain and decide.

BTW, and FYI, Rich's Last Resort has been going downhill without brakes for awhile. The owners (or managers) have some gambling issues I think. You have to wonder when a store is absolutely bare and the grounds appear neglected. Then again, they shuttled me without incident. Yet... caveat emptor.