Good Float Trip For Newb And Family

Mike Fisher

• Members

I have had a canoe on the river maybe 50 miles in my lifetime, so I am realtively a newb. I have recently purchased a Coleman canoe and would like to take my wife and six year old on a short float this weekend. I live outside Diamond, MO and thought Shoal creek would be convenient, but I want a nice easy float without too many rapids. Any thoughts on put in/take out points for a float trip around 4 to 6 hours? I don't really care if it is on Shoal creek or any other creek within 30 minutes or so drive, main thing is not too may rapids and good conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about over at Undercliff? The name has changed for the campground but I know they put in on the scenic drive and you can float back to their place. Easy float I would think and close by. There's also Cherry corners to Allen bridge or Limn Kiln. Don't know if there is any obstacles on that route though. Chief can chime in or Buzz, they fish Shoal more than I do!

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• Members

I was thinking Cherry Corners to Allen bridge looks pretty nice. I think I am going to try to float it with my little brother this weekend before putting the family in the boat. We took a trip on the James last year. Put in up past Galena, MO and floated back to there. We managed to tip the canoe once when we hit a tree. The six year old had a life jacket on of course and he took it in stride. His biggest concern was the bottle of water he lost and his hat. Mom on the other hand did not like tipping the canoe with him in there especially.

So anyway, who knows the ins and outs of Cherry Corners to Allen Bridge?

Thanks,

Mike

Cherry Corner to Lime Kiln isn't a bad float, but there is one spot just downstream from Hwy 71 where the remains of an old mill is and it can be a little tricky although Allen Bridge to Lime Kiln is a pretty simple float. Three good Shoal Creek floats with a small child would be Undercliff Campground to Gateway drive or Tipton Ford access to Gateway drive. The other would be from Gateway drive to Redding Mill access. It's a little bit of a workout at the take out because it's quite a walk uphill to the parking lot, but otherwise a nice relatively easy float. If in doubt just get out and walk the boat around anything you don't feel comfortable with.

If fishing was easy it would be called catching.

• Members

Thanks so much for the info Kyle. I see you are from Diamond. I was born and raised in Diamond then moved to Webb City for about 10 years and now my wife and I bought a small acerage and house on Beech Rd. just North of town. Its a small world. I think we will do the Tipton Ford to Gateway. Is there a parking lot next to the bridge?

Mike

I wouldn't recommend Cherry Corner to Allen or Tipton Ford to Reddings Mill. Not for someone of your experience with the family.

Just below Cherry Corner is a very sharp S-curve with a very low hanging tree right where the current is going to put you. It will take some very strong paddling and handling skills to avoid it. As stated, there is also the remnants of a mill dam that you will have to portage. And it is not the easiest portage. Not bad, but will take a bit of work. And plus, if it was so easy, ask Buzz why he dumped on this float. :gangs: I am in big trouble now!

Getting to Reddings Mill will be very tricky also. Just below Gateway the channel splits and you must stay to the left and even there, there a couple of tricky jams that will require very good handling. After that you will run into a spot where the river makes its first appearance next to River Rd that has some huge boulders across the stream that will take some careful negotiations. And then after that, about a mile up from Reddings Mill, the river splits again. You again will have to stay left. But this time, the water gets really skinny. You will be negotiating twists and turns in a channel that is only about 2 canoes wide. Then, when you get out of that, just before the old bridge, you will have to walk your canoe over the natural falls. You want to stay to the right this time. Go slow! It is slick and very rocky. Solid rock with lots of pockets and drops.

If I was you, I'd do the Allen bridge to Limekiln like Buzz said. You have great access' at both ends, its only about 2 miles and very easy to float. The river will split on you just down from Allen and stay left. Take your time and enjoy it.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

• Members

What about Tipton Ford to Gateway Drive? I was looking at Limekiln on google earth and it looks like there is water treatment plant or something there. Do you take out just before this? Is there something accross the water there?

Mike

The water treatment plant is below the dam/ spillway at Lime Kiln. There are actually two boat ramps there, one above and one below the spillway.

As Chief pointed out the Gateway to Reddings Mill has a couple of spots that I forgot to mention. The one nearest River Road can be difficult during low water, so scratch that one off your list for a while.

Tipton Ford to Gateway has always been a pretty easy float . I haven't been on it yet this year so I'm not sure about any downed trees. At the Gateway Drive bridge on the Southeast side is a drive that you take to get down to the creek. I assume you have a pickup, you'll need one here.

I will agree with Chief again and say that Allen Bridge to Lime Kiln would probably be a sgood starter trip for you. If you have some time you should drive around and check out these spotsso you'll be a little more familiar with the put ins and take outs.

Mike, I know about where you live. I'm nearer the creek and The Undercliff. I've been here for about 27 years. My sons graduated from Diamond High School.

If fishing was easy it would be called catching.

• Members

I bet if you pick a sat or sunday and let us know ahead of time you would have company floating any of those sections b4 taking the family.

What about Tipton Ford to Gateway Drive?

Tipton Ford to Gateway has always been a pretty easy float . I haven't been on it yet this year so I'm not sure about any downed trees. At the Gateway Drive bridge on the Southeast side is a drive that you take to get down to the creek. I assume you have a pickup, you'll need one here.

That is a really easy float. Not even hardly a riffle on this one. No tricky water or even a tree in the way. The only set back is the take out is not the easiest. It is not the hardest I have done by any means but can a little troublesome.

I bet if you pick a sat or sunday and let us know ahead of time you would have company floating any of those sections b4 taking the family.

I have to work this weekend but have some open dates after that.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors