Hot Water Catfish

straw hat

Spent half a day yesterday trying to catch a cat. Ran 8 jugs and fished 3 rods. My freind ran 3 rods. We tried from 3 feet to 25' and used shad sides, guts, and large minnows. Water temp was 82 to 87. Yeesh what awful weather. Lost one decent channel and caught a 3 lb flathead. Going to try again tomorrow near the state marina. Is it fall yet.

Im thinking about going in the morning.If i do ill probably throw my jugs out at 3:30-4:00am and then fish the banks till about 9:00-9:30.Im gonna use shrimp and ill let ya know how their biting on my side of the lake.My back has been out for a week and i havent fished for three weeks and ive been dying to go.

Managed to get 4 channels this morning before the heat got the better of me. They were running 25 to 28' deep along a steep rocky bank. Caught them all on large minnows. No real size, just 1 1/2 to 2 lbs but they will be good eating. Also caught a few small bass at the some depth.

I put 15 jugs out at 4:30 and didnt have one bite on shrimp in 3-1/2 hours.Turtles werent even eatin it.I guess they dont like cooked shrimp.I think that the shrimp was fully cooked when i pulled them out of the water.

• Members

If you can find them, the best bait we ever used when it gets this hot was CATALPA WORMS. We used to run trotlines on Grand Lake and we would absolutely slay the channel cats with them. I have been having trouble finding them and the catalpa trees that they feed on the last few years though. If you do find them you need to leave the worms that have eggs on them alone so there will be some for next year. Be ready for yellow stained hands for a few days if you handle them, but it's worth it. They usually come out about the second week of July, but with everything starting early this year they ought to be out any day now. Good luck and tight lines to everybody.

Man I LOVE using catalpa worms for channels!! Finding them around here is almost impossible. Most of hte trees are sprayed and hte rest are closely watched by local anglers. I have tried to order them on line 3 times only to recieve back notices that they are out of stock. Oh well.

• Members

I have just found several young catalpa trees here in Carthage. A person might be able to dig them up and transplant them. I do know that they grow fast. My problem has been that all the other trees that I got worms off of for years don't have worms on them anymore. I think the birds have eaten them all and not left any to lay eggs for the next year. I don't have anyplace to put any more trees in my yard or I'd transplant some myself. If you would want some of these young trees I could talk to the landowner about digging some up. Just let me know if you want some.

Thanks for the offer chj but I don't think my bad heart would handle that. I don't know if it is the birds or people spraying them but the few trees here in Willard never have worms on them. Seems strange.