Table Rock Lake Fishing Report Baxter To Big Creek Area

Bill Babler

post-70-0-03138600-1342468848_thumb.jpg

What a total difference a day makes. Seemed to be the same sort of day today,however there was a little less wind and a little brighter. Still not bad. After the butt beatin I took yesterday I was just a little on the leary side when I started out today. I was however armed with a little more intel and a much better set of ammunition.

Does not happen often, and I will for sure tip my hat to Mr. Keith Gimlin. KG called me last night to say he had fished pretty much in the same water as me yesterday and had done very well with close to 20 fish and 3 keepers. Not only did he call to tell me how but also where and what on. Good Golly!!! Have a hard time getting that kind of info. out of Denny and Champ, let alone a total stranger. We did have a common bond as we are both C Of O grads. Knew that would pay off some day.

Keith, I tried your stuff from 5:30 till about 6 AM. Picked up the boys at Big Creek and smoked it down there. It was pretty calm when we came onto the location, and we fished from the bend in the back corner out thru the two docks we discussed. Sorry for me today as they must have loaded up yesterday or I was messing it up. We did have one really nice K there on the first cast and I thought gosh this is swell. That was the kit and cabottle.

Really appreciate you going out of the way to help though it was very nice of you.

Went back into Trace Hollow and caught 5 suspended in 25 or 55 and then moved back up the lake toward Big Creek. Just could not believe i could not get bit on some of my usual stuff and bowed my neck and started in. Today we had Night Worms and were not afraid to use them. Big Pulmp Fat ones.

I think yesterday I was fishing a little to shallow as today as I drifted a point in the same depth I had been fishing I came off the end and all of a sudden the graph had a serious fish attack. Marks started screaming everywhere. Singles, Doubles, Triples, and even some Quads. Found the right kind of structure and depth line and it was deeper, out to 48ft,. Best depth in the 36 ft. range, fully 10 deeper than Thrusday or Friday. These fish had moved out big time. Most on the bottom, but some suspended.

post-70-0-94691500-1342468970_thumb.jpg

I'm going to guess we had today 40 plus fish with a solid 20 keepers. Nothing big or a monster by any means, but lots of 15 to 16 inch fish. What a total shock from yesterday. One triple and at least 3 doubles. Used 48 crawlers, and 15 Yamamoto 4" cuttail dropshot worms. Very few if under 5 worms that did not have a fish and caught multiple on each dropshot worm before it gave up the ship.

post-70-0-78737500-1342469059_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I fished shallower with a completely different worm, No live bait. Buster gave me a tip on the worm selection, and was just spot on with his choice. Sometimes it works out this way.

As I have said a many a time, "The more you think you know, the less you really know about Table Rock Lake."

Good Luck

All of us are glad you are back on the fish. We want your clients happy so you can stay busy scouting for us.

36 feet, huh? Man, that will mean some creative walleye fishing.

You know, I don't know if it was me or not yesterday. I'm sure my clients thought so. It is strange on the Rock to put either two stinkers or two great trips back to back. I think most probably if we have a stinker we try something else. If you do have a good day here and go back to the same deal in the same locations, it can and most usually is a problem. I never for the most part fish the same water the same way on back to back days. Usually I try a different lake section even if I do well the previous day. With a day of rest between me barging around and creating havoc, it usually pays off.

Some days no mater what you do it is the wrong thought no mater what it is. I can pretty much tell if I'm off to a bad start and it is hard for me to get it changed in such a short trip even if it is going bad. You simply work as hard as you can and do what you think is best reguardless of outside influences.

The fish dictate most of this and we as fishermen try and bend them to our way of thinking. Usually does not work out. If we adapt and give them what they want the way they want it there is a peace in the world.

Forgot to mention this morning we had a dandy 8 pound Kitty. Every one of those rascules is still swimming. More educated but better exercised.

Good Luck

rps, your Reef Runners will get close to 35 feet on 10/2 braid with 150'-160' of line out. Otherwise, you'll probably want leadcore or snapweights for trolling those depths.

Oh, I can get baits that deep. RR 800's, Norman Deep Little N, Magnum Warts all reach 35. 2 ounces bottom bouncers pulling a slow death crawler at .9 mph does the trick too. No the problem is that with the lake at 911 and falling, the only thing left at this end with that much water is the middle of the channel. The flats at Eagle Rock, Roaring River, both fall from 26 - 27 foot tops directly into the channel. Rock Creek is nearly that bad. Fishing those edges is dicey and tedious. I may have to ask Bill for permission to fish farther down the lake.

rps, have been drop shotting and spooning in the late afternoon and evenings in the eagle rock area and have caught at least one keeper size walleye each of the last three times i have been out most have been vertically jigging the spoon but have had several break offs/cut offs on the six lb drop shot line that could very well have been eyes as well. all were schools of fish that i have found in the channel and decided to just drop on em and see what i can come up with and they seem to really be intermingled?... aka mixed schools

aroun three to five oclock they are still pretty deep about thirty to thirty five feet is where i been marking the schools in as deep as forty to forty five fow and once i get one fired up i can kinda stay with them on and off until later in the evening maybe and hour and a half to two hours before the sun gets behind the trees and thats when they start to move up in the water column and the walleye follow mixed in i guess i just noticed thats when i always hook one is when they start to come up in the column. ive been catching lots of spots and some lm, the eyes seem to be right at the twenty inch mark although the first one i caught would have went maybe 24,25 inches oh by the way i can't really tell what kind of fish the schools are on my graph i just got a new one and havent quite got it totally figured out yet i just know that i can drop on some schools and get them going and others i can't even get a sniff don't really know if its different type of fish or just picky eaters

Excellent information and thank you.