Stream Photography 101

LarrySTL

I am using a several years old 4 MP inexpensive digital camera that I bought used and its fine for what I want to do which is take a few pictures on float or wading, streams. I tend to shove it in the pocket of cargo shorts, or hang it around my neck on a lanyard, and either way I worry about wading too deep and submerging it.

So, do I just buy one of those $ 3 chinese see-through "waterproof" cases on Ebay and hope they really are waterproof ? Do I buy an inexpensive waterproof camera ? I appreciate all suggestions, but I will likely ignore the ones that would cost more than perhaps $ 25. Thanks

Waterproof cases where you have to get the camera out of the case to use it simply mean you'll seldom use the camera. Waterproof cases where you can use the camera through them work better, but add bulk. Simple fact is that for the most convenience and likelihood of actually using the camera and having it ready to use all the time for the unexpected things, you should bite the bullet and buy a waterproof camera. I've gone through two of them and am working on the third, because I carry it just about everywhere, in my shirt pocket, ready to use. I have expensive digital SLRs and and big lenses for when I KNOW I'm going to be shooting wildlife or doing serious landscape work, but the vast majority of my photos end up being taken with my waterproof point and shoot, simply because it's so easy to carry and trouble-free.

I will confess that I started this thread because on Friday about an hour after taking apart my cell phone and camera to let them dry on a small towel in the car after submerging both of them.... I found myself about 15 feet away, smack in the middle of a gravel road, from a really well marked fat water mocassin maybe 3 feet long and no way to take its picture before it slowly slithered away.

Yes, the picture was ready, but I wasn't.

I missed a shot of eagle in a big oak tree, a turkey had landed in the tree about 10 feet from the eagle and was yelling at it, looked like. Left the camera at home that day. That would have been good photo! I always say - Take the camera when you go out the back door! But I don't !

My son has one of these and loves it, http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B004FLL5BI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345494308&sr=8-1&keywords=kodak+playsport

The camera I carry with me most of the time isn't waterproof and I know one day I'm going to wish that it was. Thank heavens I carry an extended warrenty on it that covers acidental damage.

I agree with Al put the camera in the waterproof case like above & you won't use it much. When those chance of a life time photos come you barley have time to get the camera out of your pocket to take the shot.

And get a lanyard for it. As my daughter can attest -- "waterproof" isn't the same as "floats".

John