Meramec On My Mind

Tom Usher

• Members

Hey everybody. I've been reading the posts on this site for quite a while and it just occurred to me that I ought'a join it. Don't know why that didn't come to mind earlier than this but I guess better late then never. Anyway, I live near Robertsville, Missouri and have been fishing the Meramec for years. I usually run from the Huzzah down and spend quite a bit of time around River 'Round Access and Robertsville State Park 'cause they're both close. I've got a 1652 Express with a tiller steer 30 horse Yamaha pump. Nothing fancy but it'll go through almost any water I can find 'cause it's light.

I'll fish for anything. And the river is pretty good at producing a wide variety of things to fish for. I'm just as happy catching a drum as I am a smallie. Pumpkin' Seeds on tiny spinners can keep me goin' all day long. A simple mind is always attracted to simple fishing.

And I've got an eight year old granddaughter that was born with river water in her blood so she's always ready to go with me. Something about fishing with kids that is magical.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey. I look forward to sharing a bit of info from time to time. The river is always changing but there's certain things that always remain the same. And those are the things that lead us to the fish.

• Members

Not yet, Jim, but I know a guy that had his truck torn all to pieces so it happens. We put in at River 'Round all the time so I'm guessing it'll happen sooner or later. It's just about the best boat ramp close to home. I use Robertsville State Park fairly often, too, because it's 5 minutes form the house and there's some really good fishing in that area. The ramp is terrible in low water though the state put some rip-rap in a month or so ago and it helps a lot. We fish out of Sand Ford, too and occasionally Campbell Bridge. The stretch between Sand Ford and Redhorse has some real fine fishing and it's oh so much fun to run in the boat, too. Don't blink or you'll hit something.

My buddy and I have developed a walleye lust of late so we're going to figure out a way to catch them consistently. At least that's the plan. Sometimes the best of intentions are twisted by what's biting on any given day. We're easily sidetracked.

• Members

We did a little fishing last week below River 'Round down to Moselle. The river is really silty. I'm thinking that it may be left over soil from the new channel that was carved out of the woods just about 1.5 miles below the put in. A huge chunk of ground was washed out. Usually once we get above the Bourbese the water is consistently clear.

There were a lot of gar rolling and a few smallies, little guys hitting in the rocks off the grassy banks. Crank baits seemed about as good as anything. The fishing was slow, though. So slow that I couldn't even get a hit on the 1/8 ounce Rooster Tail. And that's as sure a fish getter as anything on the river. But we had the kids, wives and some in-laws along so we didn't hit it real hard.