Help, Looking For Public Access Points. Are There Any?

jgentile

• Members

Hello,

Looking for a bit of help here. I would like to know if there are any public access points for either creek. I am looking to do some wade fishing this coming Thursday "if the good Lord's willing and the creek stays down!" (man I have been waiting for an appropriate time to use that quote).

I would like to hit the water early and the canoe outfitters don't open until 0800 so if wading is a viable option I'm in. I am a respectful C&R angler, fly fish only and will be using barbless hooks so in other words no worries of poaching here. PM's welcome.

Thank you.

Joe

You can park on the west side of the Huzzah at Harper's Slab (the first low water bridge above Hwy. 8) unless they are re-doing the bridge now...I think they were supposed to be re-constructing it this year sometime.

There is also Red Bluff National Forest Campground on the upper Huzzah. And you can wade downstream of the big pool at Dillard's Mill State Park, though they won't let anybody wade around the edges of the pool itself. There's an informal access on the road leading to Dillard's Mill that runs up the river toward the mill.

There's a rather difficult to find informal access on national forest ground on the Courtois a couple miles below Hwy. 8. I don't know about the Brazil low water bridge...haven't been up there in quite a while.

Of those accesses, the Red Bluff campground would probably be your safest bet.

Red Bluff it is. Thanks Colin and everyone else for the information.

Any idea as to what number to look for on the river gauge to determine if I can fish up at Red Bluff?

The Huzzah river gauge at Hwy 8 isn't very accurate to what is happening on the creek anymore as the creek has moved away from where the gauge is located on the bridge. I'd be more apt to call Huzzah Valley to see what the conditions are.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

• Members

A big thank you to everyone who responded on this post as well as the pm's. We had a very good outing despite the hour or so of consistent heavy rain, which ironically really triggered the bite. This is a perfect stretch of stream for UL fly fishing. The scenery is outstanding. I pretty much left my camera in a water proof compartment, but Chris if you read this would you mind posting a few pics?

This stretch of the Huzzah has inspired me to tie up a new "old school" minnow pattern. I will probably hit it again next week.

Joe