Indian Creek Guage?

C&R

• Members

Looks like we lost the Indian Creek river guage as far as the river level. All I see now is the "Volts,,,GOES" what the heck that is, I don't know. At 18:00 tonight ( 6 p.m. ) it showed 13.53 Volts/GOES at: 13.53. Anyone know what that relates to in river level. To me, the 2' level is the level to fish. A little above and down to about 1.80 is where I like it. Sure wish I had taken some notes on the GOES in relation to what the river level was..........BEFORE THE LAST FLOOD. HELP IF YOU CAN CONCERNING THIS. THANKS

C & R

Don't get your panties in a bunch now! lol It is sitting at 304 cfs and is going down as I type I'm sure. I like it when it is around 200 cfs myself, but right now you could fish it if you want. just a little faster than I like for fishing. Now around 400+ cfs it is a fun creek to paddle. :) Are you on the USGS website?

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• Members

I was on a "swt-wc.usace.army.mil" site. That is the one that lost it river level reading. glad to see the usgs still post the river level. Thanks. I seem to remember a guage that showed the river level on the Elk River At Pineville,,,,,,,,,not the one at Powell. Ollie, do you remember that one, and what happened to it?

Glad I never got hooked on this guage thing. If I want to fish a creek, I fish it. If it hasn't rained in the last few days, I have never had a problem. If it hasn't rained in the last few months, even better.

Ha, I never knew about guages until I signed up on this site. I wonder how I did it all those years.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

I have a place up Spring River that I catch a lot of Hybrids. I have found, through trial and error, that there is no use in fishing it unless the river gauge at Quapaw is reporting a very specific level. Not the really the same as using it to decide whether to float or not, but they do have their uses.

The only gauge I know about on the Elk is the one over by Tiff City on the USGS site. It doesn't do much good for the upper part unless you have fished it and compared it to the level the day you fished. Chief, the gauge is a good tool if you live out of town and don't want to waste your time fishing if it is blown out. Not to mention the drive and gas money for nothing if you can't fish it. Kind of like going to Taney and just as you get out of the car the horn goes off and the generators come online. Sucks cause now you want to wade but can't. The gauge also gives you a good idea of the water level so you can plan accordingly.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

If I am taking a trip somewhere, I'll keep an eye on the weather. If they get a ton of rain, I can easily figure it aint worth going.

He isn't making a trip. He is fishing water he fishes all the time.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Sounds like that is a reading for the battery voltage. It will probably come back when someone realizes a switch needs to be changed. :lol:

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

The Indian Creek/Lanagan gage is still up and running. It can also be accessed through our WaterWatch quickmap: http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=mo Ollie you are right, we don't have anything on the Elk above Tiff City, and in fact that is a site maintained by the Oklahoma District. It can still be accessed through our quickmap. We do have gages on several Elk tribs; Big Sugar @ Powell, Little Sugar @ Pineville, Buffalo Creek @ Tiff City. There used to be a USGS station on the Elk at Pineville (07188850) which was operated intermittently from 1942 to 1967.

The 13.53 is indeed the battery voltage, one of many parameters which self-report. GOES refers to Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite, the network our gage data is beamed through. The NWS uses our precip and stage data for flood/crest forecasting. NWS, NOAA, USACE, and other cooperators have their own links to our gage data, but if their links don't work (or disappear) you can always look for a USGS page.