Fishing Report

Phil Lilley

• Root Admin

Jim Johnson (Michigan & Alaska), his sone James and I drove to the dam this afternoon and tried our hand at some fishing.

Started above #2 in the skinny water and caught a few small rainbows on a #22 red thread midge. Jim tried a #22 adams- no luck. James used a #20 trout crack light and caught a couple. We were all using 7x.

Lots of people at outlet #2- a few above us and a few below #2. I was surprised there was no few people on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

We headed down below #2 and found some good trout cruising the bank. I tied on a #20 dark trout crack and lured a nice brown to take but the hook pulled out after a 3 minute fight. It was pushing 24 inches- male.

Went on down below rebar and fished the narrows there. James hooked a few and so did I. Jim struggled but finally got into a few rainbows- no one hooked anything big. We finished at rebar where I hooked another nice trout but again the hook pulled out. I never saw it. Both Jim and James hooked nice rainbows on #18 dark scuds- Jim did try a bead/egg and hooked a nice brown which broke him off.

I saw more dark male rainbows than ever. Saw some trophy rainbows below #2 and in the rebar.

John Johnson from Kingfisher, OK is here with his crew of friends fishing from boat from Lookout to Fall Creek. John said they did real good the last 2 mornings early before they shut the water off drifting from the dam to the MDC boat ramp drifting both scuds and egg flies on the bottom. He said he caught one 18 inch brown today the dropped a ton of eggs in his boat before he could release it. They've caught some rainbows in the 15 inch range but most are stockers 10-11 inch. After the water shuts down they're fishing zebras and scuds and doing pretty good.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg