Any idea if there is a "reverse recipe" site?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any site that would allow you to type in what materials you have on hand, and get a list of the flies you could make with them. I am having fun with my attempts so far (that darn fur ant is still driving me nuts, though!). I just wondered if there was a quick way to find out what I can, or can't, make with my ABM (available bench materials). :)

Yikes!!! I Hate that warning horn

that would be cool....kind of like those bartender books. List what you have and it tells you what kind of drink you can make. Not very handy if your only ingredient is beer, that's why I threw mine away.

Ducky I haven't forgot about you, just haven't been by when you were there.

I know they have me working down at our Aurora store , im gonna be up in springfield monday at back country outfitters u wanna meet there ?

Yikes!!! I Hate that warning horn

Mr. Ducky,

You'll pay no doubt for all your materials. You will pay more money up front , but it will cost you less per fly. Kind of like overhead in a business startup. After tying my own, instead of buying, When I lost a fly while fishing, it wouldn't cost much less per fly as one I had bought. On the other hand, the overhed is greater if you tie your own. You need to calculate the satisfaction of tying your own vs. overhead of materials and tying your own. I do both. I tie what I know and what I create and buy those I don't know.

Creating your own patterns wiil be key. It's my favorite part of tying.

Don

Don May

I caught you a delicious bass.

I have found that some flys are less expensive if I buy them espceially if they require expensive hackle or lots of different colors. Small jigs can be purchased by the card and it is almost a wash. I usually buy a few cards and then just add maribou or head color depending on what is working.

The thing that I find is best about tying my own is discoving what they are hitting, tying the night or morning before and then have it work on the stream. There is just a little more pleasure catching a fish on something that I have created and then lots of times sharing a few of the sucessfull creations with one of my grandsons, sons or a fishing buddy I have met on the stream that wasn't having a good day. Been on both sides of that scenario.

I always have my tying boxes with me at taney and many times find that it is more convenient to concentrate tying the patterns that are working that week.

How many times have you switched flys several times before finding what the special of the day was in the Trout cafe. Of course it is the one fly in your fly box that you only have one of. If you have the vice and feathers all is not lost.

Thom Harvengt

I know they have me working down at our Aurora store , im gonna be up in springfield monday at back country outfitters u wanna meet there ?

Give me a call when you get close to BCO. If I'm not in the middle of something I will run over there.

Ronnie

417-839-5530

• Members

MrDucky you dont always need the material in question. You can subsitute elk hair for deer hair and so on

so if your recipie calls for x material you can sometimes use y material and it will turn out alright

Sometimes not only alright but better because it looks like new candy to the trout. I have stumbled on some combinations that were unconventional for that very same reason (out of the right color or fur). My grandson who is 12 started tying flies three years ago. The were very unconventional by the recipe standards. He and his dad were on a trip to Montauk and his flies worked better than what any of the other guys on the trip were using. They were all asking him to tie them up some.

Thom Harvengt

• 2 weeks later...