Modern line and vintage bamboo rods

I was recently given a vintage bamboo rod that seems to be in excellent shape. It's a Shakespeare A1305-7-9'. From what limited research I could do, I know it is either a 1929 Manistee or a 1942 Triumph rod, but I can't be sure which. I would also guess that it is a 7-weight rod.

First, if I've made a mistake in identification, let me know. Second, is a modern 7-wt. line correct for this rod? I don't know if modern line weights are all that different from 60 - 80 years ago, so any advice would be appreciated.

Paul Rone

Cortland has a line called "444 Sylk" that is suppose to be a "synthetic" silk material and is designed for bamboo or fiberglass rods to give it that "classic look and feel." I'm not familiar with these lines, but just know Cortland is taughting these for bamboo.

As for modern line sizes, there is a good correlation, but the best advice is to try a couple of different weights on the rod to see which one casts the best for you. If you are pretty sure it is a 7 WT rod, cast a 6, 7, and 8 WT line and go with which one feels the best.

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

I think the 1305 is a 7wt, but as Terry said try lines in 5-8wt and see what works best on it. Its not high quality rod, so feel free to fish the heck out of it, and add guides if needed.

As for the Cortland Sylk...I had one and I thought it was a horrible line. It was thinner than a standard line, but the finish was sticky and it didnt float, or shoot that well. Frankly, I think that Cortland lines dont hold a candle to lines from SA or Rio so you would probably be better off looking at a standard line from either of those manufacturers. Cheers.

I sort of figured this was a mass produced rod, so I have no problem refinishing it and replacing the guides. So I should try several lines - just like I would for any other rod?

Paul Rone

Yep.... try several weight lines.

Thanks for the report on Sylk, Gaven... I was hoping someone had used it and would comment. Now I know...

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

Troutchaser

My Antique and Collectible Fishing Rod ID and Value Guide by D. B Homel lists

the Shakespere Model #1305 as a Triumph. But interestingly it lists it as an 8 1/2 ft rod.

Its has a Ex-mint condition value of $125.

Dano

Glass Has Class

"from the laid back lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

Interesting . . . So there's really no risk in losing value by refinishing and replacing the guides and wraps?

After all, that's $125 more than I paid for it.

Paul Rone