Ft Smith

torreyislandkid

• Root Admin

Are you talking about Ft Smith, Arkansas?

Beaver Lake is the nearest, I think. But someone closer to Ft Smith may have to answer this one. The best thing to do is to hire a guide to show you around.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

torrey,

Welcome to the OA Forum.

The last of March can be very good timing for fishing that general area.

If you are interested mostly in Stripers, your probable best bets will be to go west into OK just a short drive on I-40 where there are multiple potential hot spots.

The tailwaters below Tenkiller, Eufala, and Ft. Gibson Lakes all hold Stripers and sometimes lots of them, depending on current conditions. For that fishing, you will need a boat.

The AR River runs right around the city of Ft. Smith, so there would certainly be the possibility of finding Stipers there, or in some of its tributaries.

Depending on the time you will have, there are 3 great lakes southeast of Ft. Smith, DeGray, Greeson and Ouachita, that are excellent Striper fisheries.

If you've fished for Stripers/Hybrids/Whites before, you know they can be challenging to find, but not usually difficult to catch.

You didn't mention whether you are a fly fisherman or what other species you are interested in, but I would suggest you try to contact the tackle shop below for some current, local info.

The Woodsman

5111 Rogers Ave. # 204

Fort Smith, AR 72903

Phone: (479) 452-3559

Hopefully some others on this Forum will also be beneficial to you in your quest for information.

You can also subscribe free to the AR Game & Fish statewide fishing report at the following link:

http://www.agfc.com/fishing/fishing-report...ng-current.aspx

You will find that report also contains links to tackle shops and guide services that provide the info.

Hope you find this helpful.

Keep doing your homework and networking until you are satisfied that you have enough info and options for the time you will have.

Lastly, remember to post reports of your successes on this Forum.

Good luck,

Bill

Bill Butts

Springfield MO

"So many fish, so little time"

I'm from the Ft. Smith area but unfortunately I haven't striper fished the river in a while. I do know, from word of mouth, it can be productive on the Arkansas River. I just don't know exactly where one would go as there are so many accesses, tributaries and sloughs with smaller fish in them one would think it to be a buffet. The Woodsman is a great reccommendation for fly fishing, however I don't think the guys there do much River fishing. You might also consder contacting The Tacklebox @ 479.646.3193. They sell primarily fishing supplies and might have a better idea on what to use and where to go. Just my 2 Lincolns on it..

Mikey

Each time I buy a new fly............

My wife gives me the same look........

I give her when she buys another purse...

................4171.gif..............

• 1 year later...