whites

bassfisher

I have fished the river between Aldrich and 215 bridge since I was old enough to hold a fishing rod. I target whites and walleye every spring and I'm telling ya it's still early for the whites to be thick up the river. The walleye are spawning and some spawned out now. Whites are spotty all males so far. I pull off the whites when they really get going because the crappie are moving up and that's my fav. 2nd week of April the whites will be at full swing in the river If no flooding and the weather holds. 

You are exactly right, that explains why I'm catching big females at highpoint,  what is a good lure for whites instead of a swimming minnow? 

DPrice is right about the A rig being mean on whites. They really do flat catch them. I like to keep my tackle on the cheap end while fishing Whites in the river. Well alot cheaper than bass tackle anyway. I carry baits that I have narrowed down over the years by trail and error. I like to have baits that are effective catching both whites and walleye since both are in most rivers in spring. Everyone has their own favorite white bass baits but if I could chose only a few they would be baits that are effective in many different water ways north to south on whites. I don't fly fish...but wish I did at times the way I've seen the fly fishermen hammer the whites. 

These are my personal favorites that I carry ( just my opinion) 

1. 1/8 oz. Road Runner (orange head, white body) 
  2. 3" Slider (pearl, chart tail) 1/8 oz head
  3. 1/8 oz Vibrix Rooster Tail (white) 
  4. Purple Swimmin Minnow 1/8 oz head 
  5. Small jerk bait (rebel,rapala, black back /silver) 
  6. Old trusty Marabou jig 1/8 oz (white, chart, yellow, gray) 

Jason....I'm just speaking of Whites in the river not spawning yet. I can't say about the whites that spawn in the lake it's self. Yes white bass spawn in the lake on wind swept points. I'm hear to tell ya that the whites that run up river to spawn are NOT close to spawning yet. Anyone that has fished little sac white runs for a while will agree with me it's still early yet. Second week of April the sows will be up river, the spawn will be full swing, and the banks will be lined with people catching fish. But that's also crappie time so choose between the 2. Again not trying to call you out or anything like that. I'm just talking about whites in the river. 

DPrice is right about the A rig being mean on whites. They really do flat catch them. I like to keep my tackle on the cheap end while fishing Whites in the river. Well alot cheaper than bass tackle anyway. I carry baits that I have narrowed down over the years by trail and error. I like to have baits that are effective catching both whites and walleye since both are in most rivers in spring. Everyone has their own favorite white bass baits but if I could chose only a few they would be baits that are effective in many different water ways north to south on whites. I don't fly fish...but wish I did at times the way I've seen the fly fishermen hammer the whites. 

These are my personal favorites that I carry ( just my opinion) 

1. 1/8 oz. Road Runner (orange head, white body) 
  2. 3" Slider (pearl, chart tail) 1/8 oz head
  3. 1/8 oz Vibrix Rooster Tail (white) 
  4. Purple Swimmin Minnow 1/8 oz head 
  5. Small jerk bait (rebel,rapala, black back /silver) 
  6. Old trusty Marabou jig 1/8 oz (white, chart, yellow, gray) 

Hard to beat the slider  every thing bites it .   Great bait    Those Cordell super spots for 3.00.   Especially the floater  can be simply excellent also  and cast well in wind 

Dprice

priceheatingair.com