Jump to content

Mud bank to Hl kerr


Seth Clarkson

Recommended Posts

Would a float from mud bank to Hl Kerr be roughly 10 miles and take 6 to 7 hours right now? 

 

I'm using this map link below and I think the 46.1 was mud bank is that correct? 

 

 https://www.missouricanoe.org/river-maps/jamesfinley.html

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Seth Clarkson said:

 

 

I'm using this map link below and I think the 46.1 was mud bank is that correct?         Yes.    Locals call that The Marble Ground.    The bridge is out over Golf Creek  so you'll have to take an alternate route  around to get to Kerr's Landing. 

https://www.missouricanoe.org/river-maps/jamesfinley.html

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without looking it up you're probably right on mileage.  On floating time, it usually takes me longer than that if I'm fishing.  It's usually an all day trip for me.  My 2 favorite fishing holes are on that stretch.  It's a peaceful stretch because it's so long without any good access points on the upper stretch of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, vonreed said:

Without looking it up you're probably right on mileage.  On floating time, it usually takes me longer than that if I'm fishing.  It's usually an all day trip for me.  My 2 favorite fishing holes are on that stretch.  It's a peaceful stretch because it's so long without any good access points on the upper stretch of it.

The water still seems to be moving fairly fast so, maybe more like 8 hours then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
24 minutes ago, Osage said:

 

Sorry.  What was I thinkin'?    I put the answer in the quoted portion.  I looked at the map and what you're calling Mud Bank is at 46.1 mile.  Then I wrote the locals call that river access area, The Marble Ground.    And then I wrote, the Highway V bridge over Golf Creek is out  and you will have to pick an alternate route to get to Kerr's Landing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Osage said:

Sorry.  What was I thinkin'?    I put the answer in the quoted portion.  I looked at the map and what you're calling Mud Bank is at 46.1 mile.  Then I wrote the locals call that river access area, The Marble Ground.    And then I wrote, the Highway V bridge over Golf Creek is out  and you will have to pick an alternate route to get to Kerr's Landing.  

Sorry I guess it would help if I could read too. 

When you say the bridge is out you are meaning we will have to pick a different driving route between the 2? Or that we are not able to float that stretch right now? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like he said the bridge on V highway is out between Galena and Marble Grounds/ Mudbank.  You will have to back out to 160 Hwy to get to Galena.  There are also a couple backroad ways to get to Galena if you can figure them out.  You can definitely float that stretch.  And you are correct about the water, it's probably sped up a bit compared to what I'm used to during mid summer time floats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We put in at marble ground around 7 and took out at kerr around 3:30. Between 2 of us we caught close to 40 smallmouth (most were between 6 and 10 inches) with a handful over 12 inches, 2 small largemouth, a dozen sunfish/pumpkinseeds, 5 goggle eye and a catfish. We got hot and mainly paddled the last mile or so. Best baits in order were a yellow rooster tail, a watermelon with bright orange tailed slider, and a little brown crawdad crankbait. Had a 2 ft or so gar take the slider but jumped and threw it. Water seemed fairly dirty, certain areas were worse than others, but probably about normal water clarity. Some spots were pretty low with some big rocks sticking up. Got dumped once in some riffles when I got high centered but didn't lose any gear luckily. Only a couple spots were rough coming through if you chose your entries good. 

20180608_075629.jpg

20180608_111423.jpg

20180608_144830.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My pics of a decent sized rock bass and a Smallmouth with a weird bump above its upper lip are too big to upload. 

Without seeing the pic no one may know but has anyone caught any fish recently on James with a big bump or sore just a over their upper lip? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.