LCD Flat Panel TV's

I am in the market for a new TV. I have narrowed it down to the type of TV above. What I am having trouble doing now is, deciding which brand to purchase. I want to stay in the 45"+ range for personal reasons. I have spent many a hour searching online and viewing them in stores, but I can not seem to be able to place one at the top of the list. I want the best bang for the buck, I don't want to refinance the house for this purchase.

1080P, at least 2-3 HDMI jacks, HDMI upgraded version 1.3, built-in dual tuner for analog and HiDef. And all the usual bells and whistles.

Does anyone know anything about Blue Ray, and HDDVD? This is something I overheard while looking at TV's.

I've heard good things about Vizio. They're an american company, if that means anything to you, and they are a lot less than the big brands like Sony. I was looking at them side-by-side in a store and the quality was a lot better than the Phillips it was next to.

As far as Blue Ray and HD-DVD, those are the two HD DVD formats. If you get one and have an HD tv, you'll be able to enjoy the hd-ness. I guess different studios have adopted the different standard. Kind of like Beta and VHS.

“Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” Henry David Thoreau

Visit my web site @ webfreeman.com for information on freelance web design.

Rusty,

We are in the same boat, but I am still deciding on LCD vs. Plasma. I want to hear thoughts?

Noticed your from OK, how is Grand? Flooded?

I would advise you to go the way of the LCD. It will last a lot longer than the plasma, is much lighter, and will use less power.

I concur on the Vizio! I have two of them and they are absolutely the best bang for the buck. I got both of mine at Sam's Club, and probably paid a little more for the two of them than I would have for a Sony.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them

Rusty,

We are in the same boat, but I am still deciding on LCD vs. Plasma. I want to hear thoughts?

Noticed your from OK, how is Grand? Flooded?

What I was told about Plasma vs. LCD was, Plasma is good in a bright room. LCD is good in a darker room. No explanation other than that.

I am sure it is up, but I have been out of pocket all week. I just returned an hour ago. I did notice that the Spring River had been out of its bank. I haven't seen in this particular pasture in 8 yrs. It is about in its banks though.

I've heard good things about Vizio. They're an american company, if that means anything to you, and they are a lot less than the big brands like Sony. I was looking at them side-by-side in a store and the quality was a lot better than the Phillips it was next to.

As far as Blue Ray and HD-DVD, those are the two HD DVD formats. If you get one and have an HD tv, you'll be able to enjoy the hd-ness. I guess different studios have adopted the different standard. Kind of like Beta and VHS.

I was leaning torward a Sharp at first, but while I was looking at them a guy told me that the sharpness/clarity was better because of an added gizmo in the guts of the panel. Something else to go out if it ever does. He suggested a Samsung. Haven't had a chance to look at them, maybe this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

I did hear the same thing about LCD over Plasma.

P.S.

I heard great things about Samsung??

thanks,

• Members

Hello,

My Spousal Unit, the Source of All Knowledge (Better known as SUSAK) informed me earlier this year, after I booked a trip to Naknek RC, that she desired a flat screen TV. As I am retired, satisfying SUSAK is a high priority since we gotta be around each other so much. ANYway, I hunted and searched and did the internet thing and eyeballed lots of flat screens in action. Dollar for dollar (and I am a Celt) there was no better unit for us than Samsung. Ours is smaller than you want, but it is excellent all around. Samsung is continually marketing new models...I just looked until I found one that had been out for six months, had time to have plenty of reviews, plus the price was dropping. Whew! SUSAK loves the unit. I am NOT recommending this site, but I have had good luck with them, Abe's of Maine. Two cameras and the TV and no problems. Quick and free shipping. At least a good place to search for models...

Good Luck!

Bearcat

DUH. Forgot to mention that we decided on an LCD early on for SUSAK, for us it was an easy decision based on a lot of factors. As far as pic quality, SASNAK can't tell the diff.

bc68

• Members

Rusty...I don't claim to be an authority on televisions, but I'll share what I learned while shopping for my television.

Have you considered DLP technology? It's the least expensive of the three and when comparing them in the store, it had the brightest picture for a well lit room. Also, screen burn is no consideration and the picture will not pixelate. Certain picture movement will cause ALL LCD's to pixelate to some degree and they are subject to screen burn. The only negative for me with the DLP is that, depending on use, I expect to replace its bulb every three or four years. However, as I'm sure you know, there's no perfect HD television. All three models have their drawbacks.

By the way, I have a Samsung 46" DLP that I love. The detail of it's HD picture is amazing. I'd buy the same tv again.

Rusty...I don't claim to be an authority on televisions, but I'll share what I learned while shopping for my television.

Have you considered DLP technology? It's the least expensive of the three and when comparing them in the store, it had the brightest picture for a well lit room. Also, screen burn is no consideration and the picture will not pixelate. Certain picture movement will cause ALL LCD's to pixelate to some degree and they are subject to screen burn. The only negative for me with the DLP is that, depending on use, I expect to replace its bulb every three or four years. However, as I'm sure you know, there's no perfect HD television. All three models have their drawbacks.

By the way, I have a Samsung 46" DLP that I love. The detail of it's HD picture is amazing. I'd buy the same tv again.

The DLP is not at the top of our list. We looked, but I found out the price to replace the bulb was $325.00 plus labor. With the TV costing only $1199.00, it just didn't factor for me.

We looked at a loaded Hitachi 50" plasma today that was pretty nice, and the price was right. With it having a 50,000 hour life, that figures out to something like 8 yrs., and by then the technology will have changed.

To bad you can't try them out in house before you buy.

If you haven't made your move yet here's what I can contribute after a couple of purchases: LCD, dim room better to view in and no glare off screen also more pricey than Plasma. Plasma, recently increased their display life expectancy to equal that of LCD, better in a brightly lit room, screens are subject to glare or reflections and less expensive for equal sized display compared to LCD.

Samsung is a brand to be avoided unless you are buying their very top end model. Olevia ditto for all. Vizio, jury is still out.

A Gentleman who has been in the TV sales and repair business for the last 45 years in SW St. Louis County, A-1 Antenna, told me whatever you do when making your purchase get the longest extended warranty you can afford. Repair parts on these things can be unobtanium and he admitted his customers bringing in sets to be repaired had better luck than he did in acquiring the parts. In many cases they are waiting for parts for 90 days + and finally getting action only after the irate customer/owner gets on the phone with the Manufacturer. He also spoke highly of Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic. Old story, you get what you pay for......

Personally I have a 50" Sony LCD projection HDTV that has to have the projector bulb replaced at a cost of $200 and it takes 5 minutes or less and no tools, been a good set over the past four years. Just added a 42" Hitachi plasma and been very happy with that. Reached the point where I will not buy an analog TV for any price as that technology goes bye-bye Feb. 2009. Almost forgot, if you are looking for highest quality picture, be sure and insist on 1080 display. Good luck.