Floating Castor River

I floated the Castor River 2 weeks back. Been too busy to post a report. Taking the night off tying Alaska Flies to catch up. We set up camp and I put in the middle part for a float. I remembered why I first bought a kayak, if my buddies could not make it, I can still float. That is what happened and I set out on my own. The float fished pretty poor, the previous day, the local stream teams had went thru picking up trash out of the river. It may have affected the fishing. It may have been the low flows due to the drought. I had lost a good one in a tree filled bend, probably 16" or better.

I drifted into this long hole with a bluff on the right side and lots of rocks on the bottom. I cast the Rapala J9 gold and black in front of the kayak several yards and the water erupted. For several minutes, I had a motor pulling me around. I guided the boat with the rod and fish till I made it to the shallows. I brought him into the boat and took the pic. I laid him on the paddle and measured it when I got back. 20"+ and estimated 3-4 lbs. Nicest fish of the season so far. The rest of the day was uneventful, just a wonderful day on the stream. The temps were nice and the humidity was low. A great July weekend.

post-739-1186108415_thumb.jpg

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

It starts near Fredricktown MO and ends at the Diversion Channel near Cape Girardeau. Wading waters are above HWY 34 in Bollinger County. Google it or look on the MDC website, they maintain several accesss and own alot of public land around it.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson