Soft Hackle

I have a couple of

I managed to kill a couple of Rooster's this past weekend and brought them home to skin out. I found some nice colored feathers near the base of the tail (rump area) and tried them as Soft Hackle. They did not appear to be springy as the others that I purchased.

Any suggestions?

blue line.png

Guess your are the only one with a pheasant this year. Seems like most everybody else is taking shots at one another.

I just have the tail with a few rump feathers given to me, so I don't quite understand, do you mean you can't find feathers on your bird that you like?

For softness, I could never find anything I liked better than partridge. I tried one of those small bags with loose feathers. After trying those, I decided I would be tying many more soft hackles, so I caved in on one of my trips to Bennett and bought a whole skin at Fort Bennett, nice price.

BRITTSNBIRDS: GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT A COUPLE OF ROOSTERS, DID YOU GO TO KANSAS OR SOMEWHERE ELSE? I CANT WAIT TO GET BACK TO SOUTH DAKOTA AND TRY IT AGAIN. SLIDER

DONT EVER GIVE UP MOSES WAS A BASKET CASE ONCE!

BB, I am not sure you will find many Pheasant feathers that would be appropriate for Soft Hackle unless it would be up near the neck, cape. Partridge, Starling, and some other exotics are very good along with juvenile hen. Brahma hen is also good.

Dano

Glass Has Class

"from the laid back lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

around the neck "church windows" I have stripped one side of the guill and I made some nice wraps with a variegated look to them.Those will be mostly larger sizes tho 12s and 10s Also the wings nearer to the shoulder the bottom or inner has some nice creamy white and the top outer some nice browns.And these will be a little smaller.

If the guills seem a little stiff soakem a bit in a wet paper towel. Might help.

Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough." unknown author

The Second Amendment was written for hunting tyrants not ducks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

We went up in NE Kansas, Nemaha County. Birds were WILD as they normally are. However the wind was up it was 6 degrees out, we thought they would settle in. The biggest problem was they had a big ice storm. It packed all of the cover down where the birds did not have a place to hide. We saw several birds but they were in run and fly mode. Actually killed my last one in a slough that had cover.

As far as feathers for soft hackles, I have found a few that work. The bird has sooo many colors, it would be a shame not using them somewhere. Guess I will experiment!!

blue line.png

Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough." unknown author

The Second Amendment was written for hunting tyrants not ducks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759