Upper James Report

hoover25

• Members

I fished from McCord Bend downriver a few miles last night. Between three people we caught 1 tiny largemouth and 1 bluegill. We were trying to find the white bass, but I guess they were elsewhere. I am really having a hard time figuring out the whites this year.

The main reason I wanted to post this is because the area of the James that I fished was full of dead suckers and shad...they were floating everywhere. It gave the whole area a nice stink!! I don't know what the kill is from.....low DO, grabber bycatch, etc.????

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else had seen the same thing in other areas?

Tight lines everyone!

• Root Admin

Chris Vitello - MDC

"We have had many reports of similar occurrences statewide (7 or more in the last week) - - all species, all sizes ... streams and lakes. Kings River and James River immediately above Table Rock seem to be among the most obvious and suckers are the most commonly effected species. We normally receive such reports, but not this frequently. Unusually warm conditions and lack of rain combined with spawning stress or poor overwintering condition may be triggering the die-offs. We are monitoring, but there is little that can be done at this time."

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Members

Went back agian tonight....pretty much same results. We caught 2 catfish, i carp, 5 shad, and one nice white bass which we released. The lightning chased us away. :o

Hunters Friend Resort, Branson has a "Tails n Scales" turkey hunt & bowfishing shoot April 24 - 30 --so I imagin one may see hundreds dead fish, just look for the holes, wish they wouldn't dump the deadfish nilly willy as it stinks to high heaven--

what ever happend to you kill it you eat it?

Mo

MONKEYS? what monkeys?