Stuck Ferrules On A Rod, What Do You Do?

I have a travel rod that has the upper two pieces (it's a 3-piece rod) really, really not wanting to come apart. I think I know how I'll get them apart, but I'm wondering what everyone else does to get those stubborn multi-piece rods apart?

I have a travel rod that has the upper two pieces (it's a 3-piece rod) really, really not wanting to come apart. I think I know how I'll get them apart, but I'm wondering what everyone else does to get those stubborn multi-piece rods apart?

This idea has been around for a long time. Before putting them together, rub the male part of the ferruls on the side of your nose. The oil from your skin there will help keep them from sticking.

There's a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

I have two sage fly rods that are almost impossible to get apart in hot weather, even if you lubricate them each time you assemble. I don't recall how I came up with this rememdy, but it continues to work for me and has never failed. Rub the ferral with ice or even a bottle of ice cold water from your cooler. Guaranteed, it works every time. Ten to fifteen seconds is all it takes.

I have two sage fly rods that are almost impossible to get apart in hot weather, even if you lubricate them each time you assemble. I don't recall how I came up with this remedy, but it continues to work for me and has never failed. Rub the ferral with ice or even a bottle of ice cold water from your cooler. Guaranteed, it works every time. Ten to fifteen seconds is all it takes.

+1 This has worked for me also on a couple of occasions

Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough." unknown author

The Second Amendment was written for hunting tyrants not ducks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I assume it is a graphite rod with non metallic ferrules. Grab each section with opposing hands about 6 inches from the ferrule and push the rods apart. If it still does not work, try squatting, grasp the rod about 6 inches from the ferrule, place under your knees and use your knees to separate the rod sections. If you still have one stuck, grab a friend and do a little tug of war. Ice or cold water on one section, the male end will sometimes cause enough contraction to break them free.

As far as lube, use a little wax that is made for the ferrules or nothing at all. Main thing is to keep the ferrules clean and don't use much force to seat them when you put the rod together. Oil from you nose or any oily lube just grabs more grit and makes things worse. One little grain of sand can really cause some damage to a graphite ferrule or a metal one for that matter.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

• Members

I assume it is a graphite rod with non metallic ferrules. Grab each section with opposing hands about 6 inches from the ferrule and push the rods apart. If it still does not work, try squatting, grasp the rod about 6 inches from the ferrule, place under your knees and use your knees to separate the rod sections. If you still have one stuck, grab a friend and do a little tug of war. Ice or cold water on one section, the male end will sometimes cause enough contraction to break them free.

As far as lube, use a little wax that is made for the ferrules or nothing at all. Main thing is to keep the ferrules clean and don't use much force to seat them when you put the rod together. Oil from you nose or any oily lube just grabs more grit and makes things worse. One little grain of sand can really cause some damage to a graphite ferrule or a metal one for that matter.

I assume it is a graphite rod with non metallic ferrules. Grab each section with opposing hands about 6 inches from the ferrule and push the rods apart.

Try this with 2 people facing each other and pulling and pushing together. You each have a hold of the rod on both sides of the ferrules...ad a little twisting too. This works -- I've had a rod or two that always wanted to stick --this worked. The wax or oil help ...but you have to do this first. Good luck

Thighlines & Singing Reels

Don't twist, if there is a grain of sand in there, it will make a cork screw pattern that will cause more problems in the future. Pull straight.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson