Odd Fish On Lp

mdrstl

• Members

I hiked to Lane Springs and fished the Little Piney yesterday until ~1. Fishing was not quite the same as in November but caught about a dozen down from the springs ranging from a few little ones with par marks, a few pale plump 10 inchers, a couple of beautiful ones a bit bigger with red gill plates and three long skinny bows which almost looked deflated. Would these be females post-egg deposit? I have a few pictures but can't figure out how to post ("you are not permitted to upload this kind of file")

I decided to head over to below the gravel pits and was surprised to have a bit better luck, catching 7+ in about an hour. Nothing big, but only a few were the pretty dinks. Only saw one person all day, the wind made it interesting at times and the water was clear and almost as beautiful as the weather

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those look like they could be post spawn females or likely they are stockers from downstream. I say that because we see some fish like that on the Eleven Point and they are always stockers. Especially the one on the left. It is too skinny. Our hatchery rainbows in Mo don't have the best genetics and the MDC is working to improve this. Speaking about the Eleven Point, because this is what I know, after spawning a number of our stockers continue to get even skinnier and almost snake like until they die and the one on the left looks like that is the case for sure. My guess is that that fish came up from the stocked area.

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497

Lane Springs is pretty far from the stocked area, and that fish is pretty small with great looking fins, making me think it's a female that had a rough time with the spawn, and possibly a run-in with a predator- look at that gill plate. I've fished this creek a lot around Lane Springs and Vida, and never caught a stocked fish, to my knowledge. And natural selection relies on the fact that not everything has 100% fitness, so seeing a fish that's not up to par isn't that alarming.

Rob

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

Our hatchery rainbows in Mo don't have the best genetics and the MDC is working to improve this.

Intresting comment. Can you expand on this?????

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Seeing deformities in stocked rainbows isn't unusual for Taney... we don't see many but we do see them.

You see it alot at the trout parks, I would suspect they get injured in the raceways.

• Members

I'm not alarmed at the trout in your photos or your ironic concern for their health, however your habit of laying small trout out on the gravel while you snap poor quality photos is an irritating trend afflicting far to many anglers on this forum...what do you do with these crummy photos anyway?

I'm not alarmed at the trout in your photos or your ironic concern for their health, however your habit of laying small trout out on the gravel while you snap poor quality photos is an irritating trend afflicting far to many anglers on this forum...what do you do with these crummy photos anyway?

I'm sorry. That's a fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the infraction for unsportsmanlike conduct. If this post will be typical of your input, go away.

Pardon me for missing the point here. Is there something illegal as to what he has done?