Keeping fish in trophy water

jdavis

I have been fishing in the trophy trout area below the dam almost every week lately. I never keep anything. However, after a request from my parents for some fresh trout, I put a stringer in my vest. Late this morning I got into some stockers and thought it would be a good opportunity to get them some fish. I strung up four under 12" and headed out of the water. On the way to my car, people kept looking at me like I was carrying a minnow bucket or something. :angry: The dirty looks were enough to make me go to one of the conservation signs and check the regulations. I'm interested, how does everyone feel about keeping fish in the trophy area? If this is an unwritten rule I can live by it, but I kind of feel like that is why there is a slot limit.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been fishing in the trophy trout area below the dam almost every week lately. I never keep anything. However, after a request from my parents for some fresh trout, I put a stringer in my vest. Late this morning I got into some stockers and thought it would be a good opportunity to get them some fish. I strung up four under 12" and headed out of the water. On the way to my car, people kept looking at me like I was carrying a minnow bucket or something. :angry: The dirty looks were enough to make me go to one of the conservation signs and check the regulations. I'm interested, how does everyone feel about keeping fish in the trophy area? If this is an unwritten rule I can live by it, but I kind of feel like that is why there is a slot limit.

Well everytime I fish there I seen a ton of stocker size trout in there and sometimes there are so many that you can't get to the nicer fish before they take the fly. I think people should start keeping a stringer of under 12 more often. There are lots of nice fish in there to make up for the stockers you take out. Most of the time it's hard to catch four fish that are under 12".

It's legal so there isn't any reason to feel bad about taking what is legally yours.

• Root Admin

MDC designed the trophy area so that under 12 inch rainbows WOULD be taken out... they've even admitted not enough rainbows are kept when the water is down. Guides drift the area when the water is high using scuds and egg flies and they do keep their limit of <12 inch rainbows.

You will get glares... but don't let it bother you. They're just jealous cause they don't know how to cook.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

I wouldn't give a look of disapproval and I agree they should be taken. I do hate to see the 20+ fish taken, but I can't complain there either, except to the MDC.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

• Root Admin

I have to admit- I have been caught staring/glaring at fish being taken out but I would be looking at the fish to see if there were slotted fish there. It's habit I guess... and I bet it's taken the same way you took it the other day.

Again, I wouldn't worry about it.

I boat in the trophy section quite a bit

and I will occasionally keep fish under 12".

Personally I wouldnt take a 20" or over fish;

but that's just me.

But you are most certainly allowed to keep fish

outside the slot limit

and I support those who do.

That said....

under 12 inchers fry up nice! :rolleyes:

But...

I do not keep browns EVER!

Too awesome to catch.

Rich Looten

Springfield, Missouri

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,

you're doing something wrong."- John Gierach

I have no problem with anyone taking fish within the existing rules. That's why they stock the river. I never keep any fish, but encourage those that wish to keep them, as long as they fish within the rules. I know I could keep fish, and it would help the trophy area situation for the larger fish, but I see more than enough fish taken with illegal lures, baits or other methods, and many fish kept between 12 & 20" to make up for what I release. If Phil is listening, maybe you could post a phone number to call to report what I guess could only be considered poaching - keeping fish of the wrong size or using bait, etc., in the trophy area. I admit, I'm one of those guys that pays attention to what the guys in the boats are using and keeping as they drift by, sometimes even using binoculars. When they are busting the rules and see me looking, and pull out a phone, they get very nervous and usually head downstream. I also see my share of poachers fishing from the bank of the KOA, and they usually don't even have licenses. I know because I ask. I try to explain the rules for the area they are fishing, even though they don't seem to care.

• Root Admin

Numbers - all the hatchery if it's during normal business hours -

1-417-334-4865 - dial 0 for the front deck and ask for either Brian, John or James. They can radio for an agent.

If not- call either the police or sheriff.

417-334-3300 Branson police

417-546-7250 Taney Co Sheriff

and there's always 911

• Members

i dont think you should worry about keepin fish that are legal above or below the slot, thats why they are legal they are outta the slot. while i dont think people should keep multiple trophies i dont see a problem with people getting one mounted for the den or living room. i personally havent caught a monster like that but i have to say if i do catch a monster i would probly keep it. so that being said any good taxidermist that are fair priced and do good work down there if i have any luck this coming august. and jdavis ive goten some nasty looks too, just goin up there with a spinning rig. thats is what gives the fly fishermen that stuck up reputation. while i know its not all of yas and im not accusing anyone on here of it but some of the guys i ran into down there had some attitude problems. i guess i would be mad at the world to if i was tryin to fish with 15 other guys in the same 6'X 20' section of water. or maybe i was just a obvious tourist lol at the same time there have been a small handful of fishermen down there that were hospitable and talked a little.