OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Dan the fisherman

1-5-15 Report

I launched out of HSB today, planning on motoring up to hickey creek and point 12. As I got passed MN, I seen about 50 birds dive bombing the water. That was enough for me to stop ( about a football field away) and trolled the rest of the way to the birds. As I moved to them I began to set my baits out. Sure enough as I got near them, I got my first striper... 20 mins later the second one and 15 mins later the third. Definitly got lucky with them birds, otherwise I would have blown passed them..... Was really windy out there and nippy. But worth it.. I'm thinking about trying again tomorrow.

Yep. They've been in that area for a while. Sounds like they moved down river as they were further south last Thursday. This cold front must have pushed them back a bit. Odd.....

Birds are a sure sign "you need to fish there".

I was bass fishing Thursday and there was someone already on the school with birds so I didn't want to jump in the middle of it. Or I probably would have tried for a few stripers. One thing is for sure, spook the birds and you'll spook the school and then you're done.

Congrats on the striper. I posted a tasty blackened fish recipe here a while back. Blackened striper is as good as if gets.

Unlike the movie the Birds here you run to them not away. The "Terns" are the birds you have to look for this time of year and if a Loon is present even better. Glad you got in to them What size were they?

Watching the birds work is really cool. I'm relatively new to fish ( bass, striper, crappie) so I've really been doing some reading on the forum.. Thank u guys for all the information.. I wouldn't have know to stop on the birds had I not read it here.

I'll dig it up. :-)

I hate to "toot my own horn" but I was so excited that I shared it here. We typically make a trip to south Florida for summer vacation. I tried some blackened grouper while there first year and I've been a crack-addict for blackened grouper ever since and that was about 9yrs ago I think.

So last year, I wanted to try my hand at blackend walleye or striper. Made up a recipe and posted it. Now, I can get quality blackened fish from my own lake and not have to wait for my annual trip to Florida. Some places have awesome grouper, some don't. The last place I ate it was so fresh, I think the fish flip flopped on the plate. Straight off the boat. And it was good too! Definitely going back to that place.

I'll find it and post it. Maybe F&F can post it as a sticky. Wait.....maybe he did?

Here it is. If this sounds like something you would want to try, go for it. Ease up on the amount of seasoning if you don't want it too spicy. Sometimes it can get some heat on it. Lol!! The key ingrediant is some type of crab boil seasoning. I kid you not. I could cut up small chunks of fish and boil it in crab boil seasoning and eat it just like that. Great flavor!!

Oh yea Florida. I've been a couple of times. Not in the last 4 years though. I plan on going this summer with the wife and kids. We're going to Orlando though, for the kids, hopefully I can sneak off on a charter boat for a morning ;). But yes it's definitly something I'd eat too. I love sea food... All types.( even the raw variety). I'll try ur recipe in the next day or so. Thank u J-doc

Hey I'm happy to share good food.

I'm working on a gumbo recipe too. I posted it here last year but I'm tweaking it a but. Crock pot gumbo with seafood. Everyone that's tried it so far likes it. But it needs a little something heavier in the broth.