Walleye ?

Stump bumper

• Members
14 minutes ago, Stump bumper said:

Maybe they have stopped being open water feeders and are hanging close to trees and brush now ? I was on them last summer and fall when I was spooning trees but I only do that when the fishing is tough and wind isn't blowing. You could be on to a pattern. My PB was 8lbs years ago on a drop shot in tree 30 feet down.

I seem to accidentally catch quite a few every year while fishin for crappie, and they are all caught in creek channels. 

• Members

I have still been catching them but all small, less than 18 inches... trolling with crank baits. Coppermine area has been pretty good. Last year I felt this time of year I caught a least a couple keepers every day. Not the case this year. Still getting numbers but all small.

• 1 month later...

I give the AGFC credit for 1) working to establish a viable walleye population in the lake and 2) for setting regs that allow for some harvest by their clients --- the fishing public. However, I think Tanderson nailed it when he said illegal harvest is the problem. Without the manpower to get out there and really enforce the regs, trying to nurture a fairly new and fragile fishery up to a sustainable level is all but impossible.

ClassActionTransparent.png

Last Tuesday caught 9 with one keeper, last week on Thursday my wife and I caught 3 up to 22" but only those 3. Man I miss the years from 2009 to 2015 spring. 

On 6/18/2016 at 8:11 AM, Champ188 said:

I give the AGFC credit for 1) working to establish a viable walleye population in the lake and 2) for setting regs that allow for some harvest by their clients --- the fishing public. However, I think Tanderson nailed it when he said illegal harvest is the problem. Without the manpower to get out there and really enforce the regs, trying to nurture a fairly new and fragile fishery up to a sustainable level is all but impossible.

Totally agree. Have never been checked for anything since I've fished or boated on Beaver. I wonder how many people don't even get their fishing license anymore with no fear of consequences. I have been checked often on the Buffalo River fishing for Smallies. Checked numerous times in saltwater in Florida. Have even heard many comments from guys getting walleye that they are "all keepers". I'll just keep doing the right and legal thing and hope it catches on.

I wonder if anyone has stats on the natural reproduction of Walleye in Beaver? I know there were several failed attempts to stock walleye in the 90s and no one understood why since Beaver is not much different than the other Ozark lakes that have had healthy walleye populations.

The big difference in Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Beaver is Beaver does not have as many rivers that run up into underpopulated and hard to access places like the other two lakes and makes for a better spawning ground for the fish.

Another theory I have is I keep seeing fish on the bottom at 50 plus feet usually in pairs, I wonder if the bigger walleye are going deeper?   

• Members

To me the way they have the limit set makes no sense what so ever. I am originally from Iowa and have spent multiple summers fishing in Canada so no stranger to the fish.

They need to change the slot size - you should not be allowed to keep anything from the 18 to the low 20s range these are the fish you want in the lake breeding and you should be allowed one fish over whatever that slot is.  The majority of the fish you should be keeping should be in the 14-16 or 17 range.