If (or When) This Generation Stops By The Weekend....

duckkilla

• Members

I'm going to be down around the end of the week. IF the generation slows enough to fly-fish below the dam (not from a boat, but wading...). What flys should I tie on and how should I rig them? It's been a couple of years since I've been down in the area, so I need a refresher course if someone doesn't mind! So what flies, and how much weight / line to get 'em down there?????

Thanks.

SteveP

St. Louis, MO

With all the rain we're gonna be getting in the next day or two, I wouldn't be surprised if the water will still be up...

Without a boat, you should be able to get in at outlets 1 and 2. San Juan worms are always a good bet when the water is up, so are glo-balls as well as scuds. Beadheads on the worms are a good idea, if not just add a split shot about six inches above your fly, and just set your indicator for whatever depth your fishing. Use a 9' leader so you can get enough depth if you need it. Realistically, all of the typical midges, nymphs and soft hackles work, all that is different is the depth, you just need to be flexible

Zach Smith

With all the rain we're gonna be getting in the next day or two, I wouldn't be surprised if the water will still be up...

Without a boat, you should be able to get in at outlets 1 and 2. San Juan worms are always a good bet when the water is up, so are glo-balls as well as scuds. Beadheads on the worms are a good idea, if not just add a split shot about six inches above your fly, and just set your indicator for whatever depth your fishing. Use a 9' leader so you can get enough depth if you need it. Realistically, all of the typical midges, nymphs and soft hackles work, all that is different is the depth, you just need to be flexible

Zach Smith

I'm going to be down around the end of the week. IF the generation slows enough to fly-fish below the dam (not from a boat, but wading...). What flys should I tie on and how should I rig them? It's been a couple of years since I've been down in the area, so I need a refresher course if someone doesn't mind! So what flies, and how much weight / line to get 'em down there?????

Thanks.

SteveP

St. Louis, MO

Steve, not to throw a black cloud but Table Rock Lake dam has been running 4 units almost constantly and the odds are, this won't change much with all the rain still forcasted. Hope you don't make a special trip down for nothing. At 4 units, it's just about impossible to fish without a boat.

Bob A

• Members

Hey all, I have the same predicament as duckkilla. I was going to head to Roaring River this weekend but now that it is flooded with more rain on the way it's a no go. The alternative is Tanney, however I will need a boat. Any good boat rental recommendations?