Smallmouth and streams

I've used a Sculpin colored jig. Its a take off on one a friend ties and uses almost exclusively. Its a Marabou tail behind a chenille body, both in Sculpin color with a bugger wrap.

It seems to be more effective on smaller streams to me, but that may just be me.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to any of you on this board, but there are very few people I would ever tell about my smallie huants. Ain't that right Wayne? BTW that sculpin jig is a terror on the creeks I fish.

Kudos to you Gavin

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Unfortunately the MDC doesn't hold our native, well respected and prized stream game fish in the same high regard as many of us do. As long as the limit on them is sufficient to decimate most of the holding areas in one trip, it will probably remain a secret as to most accesses.

No disrespect to any of you on this board, but there are very few people I would ever tell about my smallie huants. Ain't that right Wayne? BTW that sculpin jig is a terror on the creeks I fish.

Kudos to you Gavin

How about if we make a promise not to tell anyone else? :)

You are so stupid you threw a rock at the ground and missed.

I guess Tippet the thing is that this thread has had 19 replies, and 123 views. While many of those are people rechecking, others aren't. PM me, I'll tell all. :unsure:

Ya, I will more likely give you the name of a stream if you pm me, than out over the internet. Many smaller streams I fish couldn't handle all the publicity of the internet. I have to agree with Wayne's statement about the MDC. Sorry guys, I like trout fishing too, but the MDC has made it clear they want you to know where the stock trout are. Nothing wrong with that, they are non-native and are put there to take. Smallies on the other hand take soooooooo long just to get 12" and then most people take them before they can get any bigger. A couple of you have already mentioned two very small creeks here in SW MO that I would have never told over the net. All I am saying is to keep these smaller streams name out of the net or you may find the fishing not as good as it has been due to extra fishing pressure.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• 3 weeks later...

Inch for inch and pound for pound it's the fightinest fish around.....can't remember who said that but I agree. Smallies are my favorite of all fish. Like Gavin I hit mostly the Meremac and Gasconade drainages but haven't been back in Missouri long enough to have any favorite spots.....and probably wouldn't tell if I did.

Vic

I'd rather live my entire life, living as if there is a God and Jesus and to find out at the end that there isn't, than to live my entire life as if there is no God and Jesus and to find out at the end that there is.

Inch for inch and pound for pound it's the fightinest fish around.....can't remember who said that but I agree. Smallies are my favorite of all fish. Like Gavin I hit mostly the Meremac and Gasconade drainages but haven't been back in Missouri long enough to have any favorite spots.....and probably wouldn't tell if I did.

Vic

[ [