Shoal Creek Questions

hoglaw

So I'm thinking about going this weekend. I know how folks can be about their favorite spots on their favorite creek, but I'm going one way or another so that is what it is.

Anyway, a friend of mine just bought a good chunk of land on Shoal just west of Monett. His property line starts a quarter of a mile from Highway 60, and it's directly across from a boat ramp he says. I'm going to either put in or take out on his property I think, and just figure out somewhere else to start or finish the trip.

First of all, does the creek flow from east to west or from west to east?

I see a couple of road crossings, but with all the talk of law enforcement out there, I don't want to do something I'm not supposed to. Where can I put in without worrying about getting into a hassle. Believe it or not, playing the "Well I'm a lawyer and...." card doesn't work well at all. Generally I just tell them I'm a mortician.

Where is Prater's property in relation to where I'll be?

If there's a boat ramp across from my friend's property, I'm guessing that this part of the creek gets floated and fished a ton. I'm taking a couple of folks out that aren't really fishermen or drinkers - just wanting a nice quiet float. I can take them to places in Arkansas where we wouldn't see a boat on memorial day weekend, but I figured I'd try this creek and I was hoping it had a little more water than most of my stuff down here.

Also, is there enough water to float the creek at all right now?

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Are you over by Smackout? Do you know where that is? The water is low right now, but hey that could change by tonight! If you are over by 60 then you are no where close to Prater's place and no worries. That section doesn't get hammered like the other ones.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Yes, Smack-out appears to be the name of the boat ramp directly across the river from my buddy's place. So which direction is downstream, west or east? From what I can see on Google Earth, it appears there is about a five mile float I can do to where Highway W crosses the creek. It also looks like there is parking by the Highway W bridge. Can anyone confirm?

Downstream is west toward Granby and Neosho.

Dennis Boothe

Joplin Mo.

For a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing

in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

~ Winston Churchill ~

I've floated that stretch from Smackout to Ritchey Mill a few times, but it's a pretty long float. At least 8hrs if I remember correctly. It's a nice stretch with good fishing though.

Have you done it in water this low? I know a few of our creeks around here get a good bit of spring flow, or water treatment effluent flow and are floatable year-round for the most part for that reason. The ones that don't get that benefit are very bumpy at the moment. If it took you eight hours during normal water conditions, it may be too much for me to tackle with these girls in a single day.

Shoal creek doesn't fall out like the rest of the creeks in SWMO. It's the one I alwasys started floating when the other ones dry up. Your biggest problem with the girls will be the strainers or the lack of frequent gravel bars. Don't get me wrong, probably won't be many strainers but there could be and there will be some gravel bars but not as many as Elk, Indian, or the Sugars.

My Uncle use to own smackout truck stop. Old timers will know what I'm talking about. Bird Watcher pretty much said it all. Ritchey Mill I think is the next take out and it is a long stretch as well. Just remember there will be strainers and possibly a log jam or two to contend with. can't confirm the bridge take out though

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

I've done it with similar flows - and it seems like we scraped big rocks quite a few times, but not so much it was aggravating. I'm pretty sure Monett's effluent in combination with Capps Creek upstream keep it moving pretty well all the time. Definitely a long float. There are some shorter floats between Granby and Neosho. I'm not familiar enough to tell you exactly though.