Rivercut Golf Course

TroutRinger

First time fishing at the golf course this evening. Got in the water at 7:15 and headed downstream. It was oppressively hot and humid, but it was worth it.

Caught four smallies with the two largest being around 12-13". Caught them both on craw pappi style baits 10 ft and 3 casts apart. The first one hammered the lure immediately and fought extremely hard taking drag and all. The second was much lazier. Also caught a handful of sunfish. I was out at about 8:45.

...On a side note, saw a lot of different creatures in the river. Two 2-3 foot gar, a big snapping turtle, several VERY large suckers, and some species of snake (didn't care to get close enough to identify it).

Pick of the slightly smaller "big" smallie

smallmouth.jpg

"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

• Root Admin

I played that course for the first time last week (and did quite well)... what river is that? Nice- lots of running water and good holes.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

That's the James River. I wish it wasn't so hot so I could fish earlier and walk farther. First time there but I know from others that the best holes were further down stream.

One thing I forgot to mention. I experienced something I cant ever remember experiencing wade fishing before. The water was overall warm but occasionally I would step into an area where I could feel six or so inches of very cool water on my legs. I mean significantly cooler. Much like the thermocline on a lake or when a spring enters a river. The cold water was not always on the bottom either, even in only a couple feet of water. I kept trying to gauge where the cool water was coming from and going to figuring fish would be holding to it, but it was so intermittent that I was not successful.

Most of the streams I have wade fished before have been fed by cold water springs so maybe I'm just not used to this?

The area just downstream of a gravel bar will also have considerably cooler patches of water that has seeped through the gravel bar. On a small creek below a private lake that I occasionally fish, the water coming off the top of the lake can be up close to 90 degrees in a heat spell, and I've seen fish stack up in water just deep enough to cover them on the downstream edge of a gravel bar because the water there is cooler.

I was wading the Finley last weekend and found a big seep. The cool thing was that where it was coming up from, the mostly gravel creek bottom turned into a big patch of sand & silt. I stuck my foot down in the sand and it was extremely cold--not bad on a 100 degree day. There wasn't any fish holding in that areas though.

Ringer answered my PM and mentioned that he'd had no problem parking at the course. He also related that no one else he knew has either, but that you must leave before they lock the gate for the night.

On that note.....anyone know what time they lock the gate?

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett