Sat. Night Fishing

ollie

Hey, anyone want to go out night fishing with me on the lower Elk? I guarentee we will catch fish and fight off the bugs too!! I'm talking tomorrow night Saturday starting out around 6-7 and fishing until around midnight or one. If your interested hit me up.

ollie

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Normally would never turn down an invite but I'll be in Tulsa that night.

"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

You aren't kidding about the bugs. I've taken out at shadow lake a number of times after midnight and that is one of the buggiest floats north of the Arkansas River. The bats are thick down there too. I actually caught one on a popper last year about this time.

I fished until 1 or so last night on a favorite spot of mine over in Oklahoma. The moon never came up, so I'm not sure what its schedule will be tonight. It's a week off of full, but I never understood the moonrise stuff - sometimes it comes up and sometimes it doesn't.

So I went last night and the fishing was just ok. I got down there around 5:30 and took my time getting ready. Hung out for awhile and started to watch people leave. Ok, now I am ready to go. Started paddling upstream around 6-6:30 and saw all kinds of small bass chasing shad in the shallows. I went ahead and tied on a fluke thinking that would be a good choice. When I got to deeper water I started throwing the fluke. Nada. Zero. Not a chance. Couldn't buy a bite so I kept going upstream until I reached where I wanted to be for later. Found a good deep riffle and hung out there swimming and trying to stay cool. Good thing the sun was going down and there was a little breeze or I really would have suffered. After swimming I heard a big splash on the other side of this gravel bar that splits in the river. Got up and checked it out and there was a big bass chasing shad. I tied on a spook this time and threw it out. Bam! The fight was on. Landed a nice 14" largie that was a toad. Then I started to see shad exploding all over. The white bass were chasing now. I only manage 2 of them and they were small. Really small. Started heading downstream now cause it is dark and I wanted to fish the way back. Threw the spook up against some fallen trees and wham it happened agained. The lure didn't even have a chance to settle. Nice fight ensued and then when I got it up to the yak it was a cattie! Nice 18" cattie. That was the highlite of the night. Kept on fishing and had a couple of blow-ups, but nothing more so I headed back. Those bugs are terrible!! lol

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

You aren't kidding about the bugs. I've taken out at shadow lake a number of times after midnight and that is one of the buggiest floats north of the Arkansas River. The bats are thick down there too. I actually caught one on a popper last year about this time.

I fished until 1 or so last night on a favorite spot of mine over in Oklahoma. The moon never came up, so I'm not sure what its schedule will be tonight. It's a week off of full, but I never understood the moonrise stuff - sometimes it comes up and sometimes it doesn't.

Moonrise occurs 55 minutes later each night.

During the last qrtr, the moon rises about midnight, is overhead at sunrise and sets around noon.

Check accuweather for your most accurate moonrise/moonset and sunrise/sunset time,

Thats a 25% chance that one of these times will occur while your fishing.

There's a ton of grasshoppers and cicadas on/near the water right now,

catfish are notorious for busting on topwaters like a small jitterbug during the insect invasion.

The cicadas that I saw were white/green/black

I would get a baby bass colored jitterbug to throw on light line.