White River Classic Reel And Other Bps Reels

I am fortunate to have access to someone who can get 40% off BPS products and was planning on getting one of their reels to couple with my 8' 6" TFO Pro to save some money. Can anyone with experience share their opinions with any of the higher end White River reels, like the 270, the Osprey, or the Classic?

I've only used the dogwood canyon disc drag reel from them and I've never had a problem with it. If you're getting 40% of that price, it would be dirt cheap. Why pay more?

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

I've only used the dogwood canyon disc drag reel from them and I've never had a problem with it. If you're getting 40% of that price, it would be dirt cheap. Why pay more?

Not a fan of the Dogwood Canyon reel. I have one too, while it is functional, the plastic plate on mine is cracking around the edges and I find the spool retainer spring to be borderline worthless.

In any case, the point is not to spend as little as possible, but to get the best value. If the BPS higher end reels aren't worth it, then I might go with the all metal large arbor reel (the one above the dogwood canyon).

Bass Pro sells other brand reels. If your 40% off applies to them I'd go with a Lamson Konic.

it wont, but if its a BPS employee there is a 20% discount on everything else.

everything in this post is purely opinion and is said to annoy you.

it wont, but if its a BPS employee there is a 15% discount on everything else, besides guns and ammo..

Just typin'....

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

xfcakj.jpg

The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

Plueger makes a nice reel for the money, you might look at them. It's easy to put too much into a reel for use in this part of the country, while the same can't be said for rods.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Lamson Konics and an original Teton Tioga (before they went out of business and re opened). I also have a White River Classic. It seems to come from the same manufacturer as a lot of korean made machined reels. The tolerances on it are perfect, it looks nice, and the drag is smooth as butter. I got mine when the price was still $100, I think they sell for $140 now.

I have Lamson Konics and an original Teton Tioga (before they went out of business and re opened). I also have a White River Classic. It seems to come from the same manufacturer as a lot of korean made machined reels. The tolerances on it are perfect, it looks nice, and the drag is smooth as butter. I got mine when the price was still $100, I think they sell for $140 now.

They do sell for $140. Though Bass Pro has one, I'm assuming its their older model, for $100. It looked like all the Bass Pro reels are made in Korea. I ended up getting the Osprey for $60 after my friend's discount. It's a sexy little reel for that money and I really like the drag. I haven't actually gone fishing with it yet, however. Was going to go today before the storms came in.

• 5 months later...