Any Luck Recently At Unger Park Lake (Fenton)?

Haris122

Just been wondering if anyone has gone there recently and actually hooked any fish. I've went there for probably the last 5 trips or so, each time 2-3 hours , except today, when I gave it 4 hours. Each time I went in the late afternoon/early evening, and not one fish bite (did catch a turtle on catfish bait under bobber). I could swear the lake is not low on fish, as near twilight, you see little bubbles and wakes (some of the wakes are not so little) by the dozens, and yet they don't seem bite at all. I haven't seen other people with much luck either, though they generally didn't stay very long.

For whatever reason, that lake is really ,REALLY tough to get anything on for me. Probably the single most frequented fishing site of mine, and yet, all I got to show for it is 1 nice size Crappie back in late march, and that Turtle recently. I'm wondering if Unger Park is just a naturally tough spot to get anything, or if it's just me?

I know that lake isn't stocked by the county. It's stocked by the river flooding. And the river hasn't gotten up that high in probably 4 years or so. That said, the fish you probably see are carp, buffalo, gar , and other non-game fish that have survived this heat wave. A friend of mine has taken his pond prowler out there and he says it's an overall shallow lake, probably not much more than 10' deep or so. And I'm sure it's down a lot since he was our there late last fall.

I've only fished out there once last fall and didn't get anything from along that right bank where the road runs along. When I was there the water was all up in the trees on the bank making not many places to fish from the bank.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Interesting. I didn't know that it doesn't get stocked any way other than naturally. Like you said though, most of the fish I've seen this year in there, were the ones you mention. Still, with gar there, i figured I should still be catching or at least getting bites from them if nothing else and yet that's not happening either. This is one tough little lake.

Try the lakes behind Fabick at 44 and 270. They are across 44 from soccer park.

Are you talking about the ones on the golf course?

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Are you talking about the ones on the golf course?

I think he means two that are a little away from the golf course/meramec. Preslar and Fabick Lakes. Haven't tried out the smaller one (Fabick lake I think) but Preslar is kind of in a obscure place. I forgot the name of the street, but you go away from the river near where the golf course and the park in Fenton meet, then turn left onto this other street (great description right?) and up this hill next to some obscure subdivision, and up at the top of the hill there's a small lake. Maybe 1/3 to 1/4 the size of Unger Lake, and probably shallower too. Still not super tiny, but I fished it this spring maybe 3-4 times, and never got anything in there either. I did see a small bass follow one of my lures, but it was not truly sold on it. When I went there, that one seemed more sparse of fish, than Unger, though it actually gets stocked.

Maybe I should give it another try, but I just felt like it had nothing to offer that Unger didn't already have, while being another 2-3 miles of extra drive.

I have fished the Fabick lakes a few times, not in a few years though. Both of them have largemouth, The largest one also has crappie, not sure if they are in the smaller lake. When I fished them I got some shiners from Denny Dennis and my Frabil aerated bucket and got plenty of action and many fish. Nothing over 13" or so. It might be fun if you take your ultra-light.

The smaller lake had a lot of turtles and it was impossible to keep the bait away from the turtles, but I did catch some bass.

From what I have read, it's not good for a lake that small to have crappie AND bass. Too many predators, I guess. Perhaps that is why the bass were all stunted.

It is a place I would only go if I had a major jones for some fishing. Once I figured out that you could catch smallmouth less than an hour away from here, I never went back.

I know I also went to Unger a few years ago one time. I din't catch anything, didn't see anything, and haven't been back.

Ahh, I see those lakes now...I always thought they were private looking at google maps...

-- Jim

I think it's called Fabick Game Preserve and both lakes are stocked by MDC. Both lakes are on the old Fabick estate which is now owned by Fenton. I have fished both lakes (large ponds) the only one I have caught anything on is Presler which is the bigger one and easier to get to. I have caught a couple of small bass on lures but have had the best luck using Shinners also from Denny Dennis. I have heard about people catching fish out of Fabick lake but I have never had luck there.

There are 2 more stocked lakes in Fenton, one is in the park behind the fire house on Hwy 141, I went there last fall and there was no water in it, I think they were working on the darn. The other one is in a park off Bowles, can't remeber the name off hand. Have seen fish there but never caught anything out of it.

I fished Unger once and didn't even get a bite and wan't really impressed with it. Doesn't look like it is kept up very well any more. I can remember 20 years ago going there and running my RC boat and it was much nicer.