Fishing Shorter And Light At Trout Parks?

Jack Jones

What are people's experiences fishing smaller (7'6 or shorter) and lighter rods (under 4wt) at the trout parks? What issues have you had, and are they worth looking into for next season? Right now I use my 8' 4wt at the parks.

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

In my experience there is a little advantage in landing fish with a shorter rod, but if you're fishing an indicator a longer rod will give you a quicker response and better mending.

A 4 wt is probably a good choice considering fly size and fish size in the parks.

Over the years I've used everything from a 9' 6wt down to a 7 1/2' 4wt. I don't go very often anymore, but the 7 1/2' 4wt is my choice now and for Taney in the summer., I don't use indicators and will go dry if feasible.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Short rods and trout parks, truly a lost art of days gone by. Shorter but not lighter is the key. A 5 wt rod between 6 and 7 feet long is ideal for sight fishing. But, only for sight fishing in close like you do in the parks. Venture out into open water like taney, and you might as well snag some minners and use it for bait fishing.

Rod selection depends on the size of the water...I think your 8' 4wt would work well at R. River or Montauk but you'd want a 9'-10' 5wt for Bennett, Meramac, and tailwater fishing. Short rods are usally more accurate, but longer rods mend and roll cast better.

I never fish anything longer than 8'6" at the absolute longest. I prefer rods 8' and under. Last time I fished a park was in January and I fished a 7' 5wt Tonka Prince. If I were to go to RR right now, I would take my custom 6'6" 5wt glass rod and be confident in throwing anything I carry from #6 BH streamers to #18 dries. At Bennett, I would take my 8' 6wt Phillipson Powr Kast and I wouldn't fish Maramec right now. If I were taking ONE rod and fishing the parks for trout and the rivers below for smallmouth, I wouldn't hesitate with either a 7.5' or 8' 6wt.

Andy