Teal Fest

BilletHead

Been teal hunting off and on finding birds here and there. Finally got word on a bunch of birds and one of the duck parks. Did some recon and found where they were at. Had a good hunt solo yesterday. I wanted to get away from the crowd so the native kayak got broke out. I cannot carry a load so the ride did the hauling to the hot spot.

Yesterdays birds

post-8405-0-48699100-1348346493_thumb.jp

So much fun I got Mrs. BilletHead out of bed this morning at 4 AM and off we went. The Mrs. walked in and I paddled again with the gear. She carried the GPS and it was a mile to the hot spot. Got set up and had a hey day! Lots of birds zooming around. We did the deed and back to the truck we went.

Paddling away

post-8405-0-83782500-1348346795_thumb.jp

A couple of the load

post-8405-0-91976200-1348346838_thumb.jp

post-8405-0-15988000-1348346865_thumb.jp

Going again in the morning if all goes well but to do that we needed to eat some. We filleted the breast meat and the wife did the bacon wrap. I put them in the smoker with alder wood for about and hour and a half, pulled them out and finished them on the grill until the bacon was a bit crispy. We then proceeded to eat with sides of green beans and mack and cheese.

post-8405-0-90287100-1348347154_thumb.jp

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Yes Scott it has been a good season so far. Like you brought up in the other post it is a strange start of season also. Three weeks ago we has pintails and shovelers here. Still really dry as far as pond water but now the soil is pretty wet. Every rain has been slow and steady. We need a fast downpour to fill things.

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

Did it again this morning on the last day of early teal.. Same plan as yesterday, same place. Less birds flying but it worked out fine. We had other hunters in our area and had to paddle out and through their decoys on the way to the truck. :) Seriously right through them. Only one channel flooded. Kinda cool paddling through a teal decoy slalom kayak course. I gave myself a 9.9 because of poor execution. Today two of the eight were greenwings and the balance bluewings.

post-8405-0-20563100-1348435116_thumb.jp

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Marty its been great, we were done in 2 minutes flat home cleaned and birds marinating by 8am. Something fun about getting up at 5:30 friends showing up at 6:00 and being set up by 6:30 and having coffee and watching the sun rise and teal landing in the decoys...

What I love about early teal this year was the Half hour before shoot time when we were just sitting around laughing talking and drinking coffee togeather It really was the best part of the season. Nice the birds were here but the company was great and seeing a few new guys eye bulge out as 100 teal were in the decoys before shoot time was hilarious. I guess I reached old timer classification because i would just look over to see how many were landing and keep drinking the coffee and participating in the talk without care one for the birds being there

You are describing outdoor life heaven. Enjoy the smoked birds.

Heaven for sure. I love Fall, Swatted skeeters at daylight yesterday. This morning drove through a patch of 36 degree temps. When retreiving one of the wifes birds it had landed in a big patch of frost in the field. We do wish we had a cup of Scott's coffee :)

Billethead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Marty I got Goose jerky and coffee with your name on it any day.

Moody, we aint a normal hunting website type group, I am on several and this one I really enjoy a bunch of good ole boys sharing stories and enjoying them jump on in and share yours. Heck I think most of us actually know the properties each hunts and areas and can really relate to eachother. And I do think their is a Honker Decoy that was kidnapped or lost and found last year.