Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

Lots of good stuff here, but guys, lets keep it as civil as possible. Everyone has an opinion, and weather it be factual or not, it is theirs.

Simply put, there has been Millions and Millions of walleye stocked in Bull Shoals since the mid-1950's. If both Ark and MDC are not doing a good job, you cannot see it by me. Yes there has been foul ups, but by far there has been more successes, that is why we have this great fishery.

MDC stockes walleye in Bull also, so Missouri does have a dog in this fight.

IF both of these fine depts stop, we are in serious hurt, as has been stated the walleye do not self sustain well in the Bull Shoals. Yes there were fish there prior to 1950, but nothing like the numbers we have now. Yes they gigged some Jack Salmon and caught a few back them, but they were as rare as Hen's teeth.

Mostly migrated up the Mississippi into the White River. Rare numbers at best.

Most of the huge catches and what put Bull on the map, was the 1960's and early 70's. These were residual fish that came out of Table Rock in 1958 when the entire lake had to be drained early. It had already been stocked extremely heavely for its flooding.

Lets get back on the topic of catchin these durn rascules anyway we can.

I'm proud to hear the opinions that have been posted, and really appreciate the passion you all have for our great fisheries.

Good Luck

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't be long and we can catch those fish moving up the rivers at the base of the shoals at night, can smell the oil getting hot!

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Man we are blessed just to be able to have so many great lakes so close that our problem is which on to fish or which river! I'll take it over over crowded city parks and ponds any day of the week.

This has got to be the longest thread on the Upper Bull Shoals section. Usually it's hard enough to get 1 reply to a post. By the way I was down between Beaver Creek and K Dock walking the bank for baits 2 days ago and saw a guy catching whites and crappie slow trolling soft plastics along the bank. I don't know if it was a fluke or if it was a legit bite to be found more than once.

Wow, great replys from everyone,but if your in the minority of of what you believe to be true stick to your guns man,we've all seen different things and to some its just unbelieveable but to you its true.

I believe Bry is correct on the way MDC releases its walleye.Walleye or the old river Jack Salmon are use to running up tributaries to spawn.they have a sense of where they were spawned and try to return to that fresh fast moving water to spawn again.So by releasing fingerlings in wide open lakes we have created a different kind of spawn which in my opinion is why the survival rate is not as good as it use to be.They are trying to spawn on points and flats in wide open non moving water.

Ask any of the old time walleye fishermen,and I know one from Forsyth who was in his mid 80s,,he would tell you that the walleye we have now are just not the same fish we had 35 40 years ago.They are slimer, the markings are not as pronounced ,they don't fight they same way,and are not caught as often using the bottom fishing methods they use to use.

I believe the MDC messed up by introducing northern strain walleyes to our waters and now they have cross bred,thus we've lost a strain of walleye that were resilliant and did have more success with thier spawn in our waters.

This is why I don't think the state record will ever be broke,AND i DO REALLY hope I am wrong.

The MDC has done a great job and is one of the best in the nation,but I think they've dropped the ball with walleyes.Yes we have quantity but wheres the quality.

Tight, great to see ya on the forum. Always appreciate your input. Kind of funny 40 years ago, is not really enough to tell how is was in the day.

Going to have to go back at leat 55 yrs. to see what was there prior to Table Rock,

First walleye I caught on Bull was in 1972 and for me that was pretty much the fish we have now. Thats 41yrs.

I can remember catchin 3 one day off the wall at Powersite that looked like snakes. in the Spring of 1972, and they looked just like the ones we caught a couple of weeks ago, only not as good, so I cannot say if your guy is right or wrong.

At any rate we are no longer getting any of those old river fish with a dam at both ends, so we better be happy with what the depts. are givin us and say a big thanks.

Good to hear from ya.

The MDC has done a great job and is one of the best in the nation,but I think they've dropped the ball with walleyes.Yes we have quantity but wheres the quality.

Are you serious? Where is the quality? Many people fish walleyes their entire lives and never catch a 10-pounder. Here at Bull Shoals, there are probably more 10-lb. walleyes swimming below the surface than there are fishermen on the surface. Yet you still stand a good chance of catching a limit every time out. And every year there are fish in the 17 to 19 lb. range taken at both ends of the lake. No matter where you go, those are true "fish of a lifetime" for anybody.

Anybody.

And I believe that due to conditions, these fish have incredibly strong growth potential. So go ahead and mourn the ohasing out of the original White River strain. I really rather doubt that in a reservoir envioronment they had anything over what's out there right now. There aren't many lakes that truly have the potential to beat the world record. Bull Shoals is definitely top-five, and possibly #1 on the list.

In my opinion, we have NOTHING to whine about here.

Hehe, Ole Babler, I wondered how long it would be before you gave use your expert opinon on old walleyes.

You seem to always forget that the old walleyes were there and that it probably took years for them cross.

i would really like it if we could pull up the old posts from our disscusion on this years ago,and not just your input but everyones.

There were walleye there before TableRock,Bullshoals and Powersite and I believe they were different (not much) from the ones we have today.Yes stocking has made it much easier to catch them, thank goodness for me because the old boys could really do it with less numbers.

Bill your memory is outstanding...

Good to hear from the man who gives the best fishing advice bar none on this forum.

Quality, Man I know guys who dream of catching 5 to 6 pounders and ive done it on Tablerock, Beaver and Bull. My best still was one i popped last year out of the White behind Beaver that went 12.2. Our size limit also lends to quality fish, Now i do agree TR seems longer than thicker but Beaver seems well proportioned. Im not sure why but when i send pics or links to the fish guys here catch to some of my buddies they cry and some of them live on the Columbia. When our fish make those guys cry thats saying something.

Hey there Powerdive, boy its not very hard to get a rise out of some folks, I may not be able to get a 19lb walleye to bite but can get a trophy or 2 on this forum. Its good to see all these opinions. Agree or disagree with me it sure won't hurt my feelings because I just tell it like I SEE it.

You are right if one lake has the potential to break the record it is Bullshoals and like I said, i really really hope it does happen .But just don't think it will.

Powerdive I would sure like to see some pics of those 17 and 19 lbers, bet those were hogs.