Boat Again?

oneshot

Ok thinking of a Boat for fishing and gigging the river.I asked my Son what NRO is running? He said 16 foot with Jet but said if I go this route I better know this river.

I said ok how about going real cheap? 14 foot and just go with Trolling Motor and just getting out pulling Boat over riffles to the next hole.He seemed to think this would work.

I have a 3 HP Clinton,does ok only problem is you can't kick it out of gear and Trottle Control is not the best to get to.

Really leaning towards Trolling Motor idea.Plus I have one that works well.

Thoughts and ideas?

oneshot

I still kick myself for selling my 12 ft Coleman trolling motor Crawdad when I moved back to MO. I had used it to fish the Saline River after I moved to central Arkansas with a 50 lb trolloing motor. I needed that size because I would use the trolloing motor to move upstream and and then float downstream and use the motor to hold my position or guide the boat. I stopped floating downstream with a jon boat a long time ago after running into a logjam on the upper Big Piney in a high bank area above the narrows and spending what time I had left to fish getting the boat around so I could get out at Dogs Bluff thats why I start down stream nowadays. Plus you don't need a shuttle and I never had a problem dragging a jonboat or canoe when I floated.

I still kick myself for selling my 12 ft Coleman trolling motor Crawdad when I moved back to MO. I had used it to fish the Saline River after I moved to central Arkansas with a 50 lb trolloing motor. I needed that size because I would use the trolloing motor to move upstream and and then float downstream and use the motor to hold my position or guide the boat. I stopped floating downstream with a jon boat a long time ago after running into a logjam on the upper Big Piney in a high bank area above the narrows and spending what time I had left to fish getting the boat around so I could get out at Dogs Bluff thats why I start down stream nowadays. Plus you don't need a shuttle and I never had a problem dragging a jonboat or canoe when I floated.

Ok I have a 12 foot Jon with 40 pound Trolling motor good to fish and float but my Son don't trust gigging out of it.

006.jpg

001-4.jpg

046.jpg

oneshot

Ok I have a 12 foot Jon with 40 pound Trolling motor good to fish and float but my Son don't trust gigging out of it.

006.jpg

001-4.jpg

046.jpg

oneshot

I failed to mention I weighed about xx pounds less when I had the 12 ft coleman and was still able to fit into it :have-a-nice-day: I would need at least a 14 foot jon boat today :oh-noes:

It's pretty expensive to rig up for gigging.

Figure Rail,LED Lights and couple Batteries we're good to go.

Figure this way I'm this close to Rehorse I might as well make the best year round or should I just concentrate on fishing durring warm weather and hunting durring cold? If I did this I could use my 12 foot just fine.

oneshot

I failed to mention I weighed about xx pounds less when I had the 12 ft coleman and was still able to fit into it :have-a-nice-day: I would need at least a 14 foot jon boat today :oh-noes:

Yea I know about that.That's my Grandson setting in mine,he was setting on the front I told him to set in the middle.But I figure we had a good 600 pounds in it.

oneshot

Figure Rail,LED Lights and couple Batteries we're good to go.

The giggers I've seen lately on the Niangua are using generators and sodium or metal halide lights. That's going to put a lot of pressure on you to find what's left after they run through. It may have changed since I lived there, but given the fact it was nighttime fishing they used to hit it 7 days a week then.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

The giggers I've seen lately on the Niangua are using generators and sodium or metal halide lights. That's going to put a lot of pressure on you to find what's left after they run through. It may have changed since I lived there, but given the fact it was nighttime fishing they used to hit it 7 days a week then.

Oh I'm sure the LED's would be fine but more I get to thinking about could weather I'll be fine drowning worms out of my 12 footer in April and next few monts.

Well river still up a little and raining here,this is Good!

oneshot

One Shot. In my opinion nothing beats a double ended paddle jon for the river. I often run my old 56/58 Johnson 3hp/5.5hp motors on the boat. If I am floating overnight I only take the trolling motor and a two batteries. Many times I will drag the boat up over the riffles and I like the double ended for floating since it is not pushing water and I can just "back" right back up the holes while fishing...

I also run a 16' 50/35 jet on the Niangua but only from Tunnel Dam to about the old Ed Dampier property. For me a good jet boat run is from Lead Mine up to the eddy right above the old Blue Springs Resort.

Either way, Jet is great for being able to fish many places, paddle jon is great for floating and fishing out of!

Take Care

Joe