Fishing Report From Last Night

duckydoty

I taught a buddy to fly fish for trout on Taney about a year ago and he took to it real well. Yesterday, he was feeling a little froggy, and threw a challenge at me. A one on one nighttime fishing derby, most fish wins. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to do this and he said absolutely.

Well, we got down to the water and started fishing the rebar hole a little after 8 p.m. It was a slow start. We fished about an hour, leap frogging down stream working our way to the old big hole area. I started with olive pine squirrel sculpins and picked up only two fish in the first 30 minutes. Changed to black for a while and nothing. Got down to the big hole and changed to a white mink sculpin. Started getting a few bites by letting it just dead drift for a little bit, then four very short strips and letting it dead drift again. After the short strips, 5 to 10 seconds later, I started getting some ever so slight and light pick ups. Managed to bring 3 more fish to hand by doing this. We were about an hour into the challenge and we decided to go to the flats between outlets 1 and 2 starting at the top and leap frog down to just above outlet two. The fish score at this time was 5 to 1. Fishing was a little better up on the flats. I stayed with the white mink sculpin and the same 4 small strips and a long pause. We fished up in that area another hour and I picked up 12 more fish. They were all a little better sized than the ones down by the rebar hole and one was a beautiful 17 inch brown that just hammered the fly as soon as it hit the water. After working that area and making the assessment the fishing was pretty slow, we decided to head down to the old KOA flat. The score was now 17 to 6. My buddy was taking it pretty good, but still showed signs of hope and confidence that he still had a chance to put a whoopin on me. The fishing was a little more fast paced and even better quality fish than up on the flats between outlet one and two. I was still using the white mink sculpin and the 4 strip pause retrieve. Catching several rainbows in the 13-15 inch range, I had two of the mink sculpins completely shredded by the end of the night. I was getting bites, not just one, but several on every drift. I tried several times to land 10 fish in 10 casts but would usually mess it up right around 6 or 7 fish in a row. My best runs ended up being 10 fish in 11 casts and 10 fish in 14 casts. We only fished about an 80 to 100 yard stretch and were in fish the rest of the night till the horn blew at midnight. The final score ended up being 53 to 17 in a little less than 4 hours of fishing. What started off as a fizzle of an evening ended up being a real bang of a night for fishing.

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

Yep. He did real good. I can remember nights years ago that I would have been tickled pink with 10 fish for a whole night of fishing

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg