Balsa Swimming Minnow- Smallmouth/bass Fly

20130225_184357.jpg

I enjoy working with balsa. I also like to fish the "wiggle minnow" for smallmouth= so I made a balsa version. Nothing too original- this is a balsa diver- but the shape of the head really gives it some wiggle. Pretty simple to make/tie. Really anxious to try this when the bass get more active. Already stuck some pond bass with it.

20130225_172438.jpg

Any how-to's on how to make something like this? Looks real nice and as I want to try flyfishing for bass in the future it'd be something good to know how to make.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

That's a good looking bait. This may sound like a stipid question, but, Do you do most of your sanding before you put it on the hook or after?

If fishing was easy it would be called catching.

Very nice. Care to share the dimensions and angles?

Its on a size 2 8089- Id say the body is around an inch and a half long, the angle on the lip is about 45 degrees give or take. I have made these in several sizes and its hard to mess them up as long as they are kind of curved- like with the belly cut out. That way they stay upright- just like a crankbait. The tail is just a single marabou plume with a little flash and a hen hackle skirt. I'll work up an sbs once i get my tying stuff settled down- we just bought a house so we are in the midst of the horror that is moving.

Looks easy to tie if it's similar to a popper, but on this one do you use a small drill bit to get the hook's eye out the front?

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson