Little Piney

MattS

• Members

I haven't been to the Gasconade in years. I went there once with my dad and it changed my life. I discovered trophy smallmouth bass and never looked back. I must have caught 10 small mouth over 16 inches. Is this the way it still is? We fished right under the bridge where the Little Piney comes in. Usually fish the Mearmec River and love it. Gasconade is a long haul. Is it worth it?

Well, there is some very good fishing on the Gasconade. Catching 10 over 16" is probably possible, but I've never personally done it. I'm usually happy to catch 3 or 4 that size on a good day and maybe 1 on a slow day. I think if it is a very long haul, there is probably comparable fishing closer to you. Whereabouts are you located?

Yes, worth it. The Gasconade is basically a less used and less urbanized Meramec River with bigger, more plentiful fish. It's only about 45 minutes down the road from me but I'd be willing to drive much further to fish it.

At least on the reaches where I like to fish it, the jet-boats are the only real annoyance. But if you're catching a bunch of nice fish you'll tend to want to look past that. I wouldn't speak in such glowing terms about a river I really like (for fear of crowding it) but the Gasconade has a couple of hundred miles of fishable water so yeah....there's some room to spread out.

• Members

I live in STL and have a cabin on the Mearmec. I'm about tired of floaters. Every single weekend I go down there they're always up to something. Oh well. About the Gasconade, I rarely run into traffic the times I've been there. My dad has a "secret spot" for the fall and winter that is just LOADED with trophy smallmouth. He's caught plenty of 20+ inch fish out of the hole. But ever since I started trout fishing, more of my winter involves chasing them. Too many fish not enough time.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, worth it. The Gasconade is basically a less used and less urbanized Meramec River with bigger, more plentiful fish. It's only about 45 minutes down the road from me but I'd be willing to drive much further to fish it.

At least on the reaches where I like to fish it, the jet-boats are the only real annoyance. But if you're catching a bunch of nice fish you'll tend to want to look past that. I wouldn't speak in such glowing terms about a river I really like (for fear of crowding it) but the Gasconade has a couple of hundred miles of fishable water so yeah....there's some room to spread out.

Not sure I totally agree with this, IMO fhere are more jets on the Gascy than the Meramec.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Not sure I totally agree with this, IMO fhere are more jets on the Gascy than the Meramec.

Maybe I overstated that a bit. Bottom line, the Meramec and Gasconade are both fine smallmouth streams, and you'll probably have a bit of company fishing either one.

Maybe I overstated that a bit. Bottom line, the Meramec and Gasconade are both fine smallmouth streams, and you'll probably have a bit of company fishing either one.

Agreed, they are 2 of the best for a lunker smallmouth!

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor