Sometimes You Have Your Ducks In A Row

BilletHead

Love it when a plan comes together,
Up until this morning teal season has been pretty poor for us. Found an irrigation lake that was holding about a hundred teal. Found them Thursday afternoon, still there yesterday morning. Decided this might be a place to take the Mrs. One of those things. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. They may just fly off and never come back or do as we wanted and dump into the decoy set up. Nice full moon to see by. Could see to unload the kayak, decoys etc. in the dark. Loaded up I paddle across and the Mrs. walks to the far side our set up for the morning. I peer into the fog as I paddle to hear geese getting nervous. Soon I see geese and bookoos teal get up off the water into the early morning dark sky. As I set up the decoys the geese go silent in the distance flying off. Mrs. Billethead sets up the marsh seats in the smartweed. Then she says look at all the birds. Looking into the East I can see a rather large swarm going round and round. Almost set up they dump in about a hundred yards distant down the lake. Turn the mojo doves on staked out in the middle of the decoys. Load the guns sit down and look at the clock. 20 minutes to go. Soon they all spread out down the bank swimming towards us. Now we have them from 40 yards to 80 yards. Start counting, groups of ten, groups of twenty, multiply by the number of groups. CRUD 150 + teal with a big duck or two mixed in. 10 minutes to go and a crazy killdeer goes to squawking and up all the birds go way down range, too far out. Start over and watch the clock. Shooting time arrives and all the birds are feeding in the mud and muck still a long way off. Then a lone pintail circles and lands in front of us. Two lone teal drop behind him. Sorry Pat there on my side you can't shoot so I will and As I stand up they come off the water and I take them out. Then chaos erupts. All the teal from down lake go air born. I look at Pat and her eyes are big and round and she mutters a not so nice word as they begin to drop in on us by tens and twenties. We let loose, reload and shoot more. It's raining teal. Splat, splat, splat then hit the water and more are coming in. I said I got to get a couple of cripples and I hear her let another volley go . Then she says no more shooting. We got a dozen on the water. I had no idea but sure enough 12 dead teal. Oh how I wish this was the first weekend of teal season now that they have finally arrived. After a quick picture or two we pick up the decoys and as we leave there were several large flocks heading South.

BilletHead

post-8405-0-54569200-1379809531.jpg

post-8405-0-28514200-1379809543.jpg

post-8405-0-21064600-1379809564.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Yes we had a green wing make an appearance. Since we had teal today he has disappeared. Magic teal. :)

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

Well I will be darned. Had no idea, thanks for the PM Would that be the teal trifecta? Mrs. BilletHead said she knew that all the time. hahahahahaha

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

That's the trifecta, I have shot hundreds of them been around thousands one of the most prolific birds on the Salton Sea or use to be anyway and Mexico. Super neat seeing one in MO and listen to the wife she knows her birds lol

Four more teal this morning. Seen a couple of others we did not get. Hunted another place than we did yesterday morning. On the way home seen 26 at that place. Could of should of would of but you never know. Got a bonus snipe too. Found a field that was cut for silage and then drilled to wheat. Doves out the wazoo so after a late lunch we will go for them,

The BilletHead's

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead