Is There Water?

nymphermaniac

• Members

I'm looking at the USGS site and it says the Current at Montauk is running at 39 cfs. I can't even imagine it that low. I fish below the park from Tan Vat to Cedar Grove. I was planning to go down early next week. Can anybody give me a report on what shape the river is in and how it is fishing? Greatly appreciated in advance.

Yeah, I looked at the gauge after this first post, and the stream flow table did say 39 cfs, but now I'm looking at both the stream flow table and the graphs and they say 90 cfs. I suspect that there was a mistake in the table that was fixed today. If you look at the graph, the flow was actually measured a few days ago, so the 90 cfs figure should be accurate. They usually extrapolate the flow in cfs from the level in feet, but physically measure flow periodically to make sure the extrapolations are fairly accurate.

• Members

I have no scientific evidence to support my opinion here but with that said... I am of the opinion that the late July flooding moved the gauge or somehow messed it up. (superb scientific term). While the river is a little low in spots there is plenty of water to be had. The river certainly does not "look" to be running at 39 cfs and there is certainly more water than the past two years when we had real drought conditions.

I have been fishing the river the last five weeks between the wire and Ashley Creek. The biggest thing I have noticed is the drastic changes the flooding has done to the profile of the upper Current.

The weather took a drastic dip in temperature and the fishing was at its' toughest for me this week. Still, there is plenty of insect activity and fish rising. Nymphing worked, streamers worked, dries and emergers as well.

I fished it yesterday ( Saturday ) and caught lots of fish. I also found quiet a few browns in reeds so I would suggest being careful where you wade thru

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."