Pattern Name: Zebra Midge

Category: Midge

Difficulty: 1 - Easy

Target Species: Trout

Hook: TMC 2487, #12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22

Thread: Uni-Floss or Uni-Thread 6/0 in red, black, olive, white, tan

Tail: none

Rib: midge or small copper, silver or gold wire, depending on the size hook

Body: Thread or other ribbing material such as vinyl rib, D-rib or lavra lace (Orvis)

Head: Tungten bead (gold, silver, copper) or glass bead (red, black, clear) , again depending on the size hook

Instructions: Run the bead up on the hook and start thread at head, securing the bead and working down on the hook. Some like to start the wire at the beginning by sticking the end up against the bead and wrapping back across the hook and wire. Stop the thread at the desired body length and wrap back to the head. Wrap the wire, segimenting the body evenly. Some like to add a turn or two of natural peacock herl at the head behind the bead. Tie off and cement.

Vinyl ribbed bodies don't need segimented... subtract the wire altogether from the recipe.

How to Use: Under an indicator anywhere from 12 to 48 inches, depending on where fish are holding. If fish are feeding on the surface, set the indicator shallow. Use a Zebra as a second fly under a scud close to the bottom. Change depths and colors till you find the right combination.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Guest Jim Traylor

Also works well in black with silver bead and silver rib.

A killer on the white.

Blood midge is tied the same way only use red vynil tubing black bead and no rib. Transluceses very well and is a killer fly on the white.

Jimmy T.

• 16 years later...

Jimmy T posted above me... Yeah - its been a while. If you need bulk beads - ask that guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's about an updated photo for this page ?

What a killer pattern.

Somehow I lose all mine before I get to the river.

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.