Help With Sunfish Ids - Hard To Id

• Members

Hi again everyone, caught a few Sunfish in which I am not sure what species they are. The first one looks like it might be a Redbreast/Bluegill hybrid and the second one looks almost like a Longear, but also looks weird. The range of the Longear does not extend this far east (supposedly). What do you think?

possibleRedbreastBluegillhybrid_zps368ad

Anotherprobablehybrid2_zps3fe615d9.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what they are, but they both look the same to me and lack the coloring of the longear.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Bluegill/pumpkin seed hybrid looks like to me.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Its a hybrid bluegill. Could be bluegill x longear or bluegill x green sunfish.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

Am I right in that you're in Virginia? If so, I'd say they are bluegill/pumpkinseed hybrids. As you say, longears don't range that far to the east, and neither do green sunfish. Besides, I've never seen longears cross with any other species, and green sunfish/bluegill hybrids always seem to have larger mouths than typical bluegill. No other species of sunfish has a color pattern that closely resembles that of your fish, while pumpkinseed have that pattern of blue markings on the cheeks and the general color pattern on the sides of your fish. The ear flaps, however, are very bluegill like.