Van Buren area smallmouth fishing early April.

Eric82

I am going down to the current for my bachelor party the second week in April and am wondering what would be the best float to take for smallies this time of year. I will be primarily fly fishing but bringing along spin/bait casting setups for those who don't want to fly fish. I have never been to this part of the river before. Cool streams!!!

Hmm...Basically if you are limited to renting canoes or getting a shuttle, your choices are pretty much limited to the access above VB down to VB (I'm not near a spot where I can look it up and I don't remember the name of the access...Waymeyer?) or VB to Big Spring. Any other accesses on the Current are inconvenient for the liveries. Of the two floats, the upper one is a little longer and a little more "wild", although anywhere around VB is outside the Riverways and there are lots of cabins. You'll also encounter lots of jetboats if it's on a weekend and the weather is nice. In fact, that's true anywhere on the Current, but if you had the time to do so, I'd take the drive up toward Eminence and float above Two Rivers, or Two Rivers to Powdermill, or if you could find somebody to put you in, Powdermill to Logyard. Unfortunately your choices above Two Rivers are either a very short float from Jerktail (4 miles) or a very long one from Williams Landing (something like 12 miles). But you also have the choice of floating the lower Jacks Fork from Eminence to Two Rivers.

Second week of April should be pretty safe on the Jet Boats. They don't kick in force till Memorial Day.

Keep an eye on river gauges, April is flood season and that part of the river will probably be blowed out at that time and running full. Van Buren down to Doniphan or any float in the Doniphan area can produce some nice smallies in the bigger part of the Current River. It just takes a little work.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson