Report 4-12-15 PM and a cautionary reminder

M_Taylor

I fished for stripers last night mid lake. I found them on Keitechs and Rogues but couldn't find any big ones. Been the story for a whole week now. Still fun on light gear. Water temps were 62-64.

I also saw some topwater action well after sunset but couldn't connect with them. While fishing for stripers I managed a nice walleye on the Rogue. All were caught in less than 25FOW.

The Rogues I'm using get down about 8-10ft.

Something I wanted to remind people of that really hit home to me was to be cautious of underwater structure that is off the main land or islands. I took a boat ride towards the clear water just for fun yesterday before fishing. I'm still learning my boat and the electronics,and of course the lake. The wind really picked up for awhile and was white capping good. I got on the trolling motor to check out an island and immediately decided it was too rough to be fishing comfortably but threw a few times anyway. I was going around to get out of the wind when straight in front of me was a giant boulder just under the surface. Now I was off the shoreline a good 20-30 yards. Thanks to polarized glasses and a strong trolling motor it didn't cause me any trouble. But with that wind at my back, it could have been a serious issue if I hadn't been paying attention. It reminded me that even if your aren't running full speed on your main engine, you need to be aware of what could be under the surface. If that had been at night, which is when I often fish, I'd hate to think what would have had happened.

There are lots of boulders like that from about Ventris on down towards the dam, and around the center of Horseshoe Bend. I remember someone hitting the one out from Rocky Branch Marina at planing speed at night. Ugly sound! From LaRue on to just past Rocky Branch is a particularly hazardous area.

Glad you weren't hurt or the new boat either.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

Ya that Rock at Larue is a favored of mine as is the pass, I cant help but to chuckle when someone tries to go through it even though every map shows it to be a hazard area. There is a nasty little hump just past ventris I have seen claim a few lower units.

The river arms are loaded with submerged stumps & logs.

The number of people running wide open thru submerged timber is insane.

I watched several boats get outside the river channel & cut across the mud flats. Dont be stupid people.

Also, its not a good idea to run between somebody & the bank. They likely know the area pretty well & there's a good chance its a stump row theyre fishing.

Its a wonder there arent more boating fatalities at Beaver due to bad boating habits.

Yeah i wanted other people that may be even newer to the lake than me to be mindful of the hazards out there. Some that aren't marked, like boulders and of course the standing timber.

One reason I was doing what I was doing is to learn the lake. I don't fish spots at night that I don't know.

When I guided in AK we'd spend a week straight, 8 hours a day, running the narrows of the river we guided on. Back and forth and every possible way so that no matter the conditions we knew how to get back safe. It was fun getting paid to do that and not paying the $8/gallon!

Several of us (including me) have complained about ski boats and jet skis having no respect for docks, other boaters and such leaving big wakes behind them. But I've seen just as many bass boats do some rude and disturbing things as well.

With that said, anglers need to be extra courteous to other anglers. No passing between boat and shoreline as noted above, don't leave a wake on another boat just because you're ready to leave a spot, etc.

This past weekend in Louisiana. I had spinnerbaits flung at trees within 10-15ft from me. I was fishing in a grove of cypress trees and a bass boat inched closer and closer through the grove. Eventually, the baits became very close to my boat. Where I was fishing. I started to speak and be courteous and friendly but after that, I remained silent. I guess down there, the fishing pressure on a smaller lake folks are not bothered by such things.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

• Members

This is why I use a row boat.

Well, that and the lack of taxes and registration paperwork and maintenance and cost and that I get a fair additional workout and... Well, you get the idea. ;)

Silence is golden.