Spawners... Off Limits

jdmidwest you need to head west over here and I'll show you how to catch those #$%&*(#$#^ fish! <_< Sometimes that's all I can catch. Doesn't seem to matter if I upsize my lure or not, they just love me I guess. Wayne, the hatchery over here did raise them back in the 70's or 80's, but not sure if they went to lakes or streams.

Fishing beds isn't much of a challenge either. Yes, I have done it many years ago before I realized it wasn't any big deal and the problems I created for the fishery. I mean think about, it's like a canned hunt in a large fenced in pen. When your young it was kind of cool and the challenge was there. Now your older the thrill just isn't there anymore. Personally, my beer gets to hot while sight fishing too long anyways!

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MDC calls them Rock Bass

Facts:

Season = All year

Daily possession limit = 15

Size limit = NONE

If there was some trouble with there numbers wouldn't thay adjust the possessiom and even put on a slot?

Fish slow and easy!

Borrowed this one from..........Well you know who!

A proud memer of P.E.T.A (People Eating Tasty Animals)

MDC calls them Rock Bass

Facts:

Season = All year

Daily possession limit = 15

Size limit = NONE

If there was some trouble with there numbers wouldn't thay adjust the possessiom and even put on a slot?

Hey JC: Whats happening. Just wondering, did you post to the wrong topic? These guys are talking about SMB or Smallmouth Bass.

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

If there was some trouble with there numbers wouldn't they adjust the possession and even put on a slot?

Well they haven't for Smallies. Smallies have been fighting low water, which makes them vulnerable in so many ways, the invasion of the Kentucky/Spotted bass to some of their waters, and no change has come. There are some streams that should have been closed to fishing for Smallie, but they weren't.

So if you think a state wide limit would be put in force in the face of some threat, it wouldn't

The commission is more into making people happy than secure, something that has change from the 50's and 60's. If you read their minutes you'll find that there is often reluctance to enforce regulations in force. :angry2:

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Yep, the biologists (most of them) know what oughta be done, but they have to get it okayed by the enforcement people, who are always reluctant to have to deal with anything but the simplest of regulations. They weren't in favor of the original 12 inch limit on stream bass. They definitely weren't in favor of any of the regulations that put different limits on spotted bass than the other bass species. They weren't real big on setting up special smallmouth management stretches. Why? Having to enforce more complicated regs. And note here that I'm not necessarily talking about the agents who actually do the enforcing, I'm talking more about the higher ups in the enforcement division.

Then you have the commissioners. Whether or not they are just political hacks appointed as a favor by whichever governor is in office, or whether they actually have some knowledge of fish and game management and care about it, they still have to answer to "the people". Which means that they are the ones who get the hostile phone calls and hostile constituents at meetings whenever they change a regulation and tick somebody off. So they are also very reluctant to encourage the department to institute more restrictive regs. If the truth be known, I suspect that it wasn't easy for the biologists to get the ball rolling on what special management areas and special smallmouth limits we do have.

Things ARE changing, slowly enough, but changing. The anglers who want GOOD stream smallmouth angling are banding together and getting more vocal, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Hey JC: Whats happening. Just wondering, did you post to the wrong topic? These guys are talking about SMB or Smallmouth Bass.

Yep sorry wrong place to post that! LOL

However lets be very carfull about this subject. If we want to look at the spoonbill run, whitebass run, crappie run, and the list go's on. All of them great fishing time are when the fish are spawing. Hummm I know there not on the nest but its the same thing and anything else would be just splitting hairs. Do we relly want to give up those great fishing times? Now just think about this a few mins before you reply!

Fish slow and easy!

Borrowed this one from..........Well you know who!

A proud memer of P.E.T.A (People Eating Tasty Animals)

• 1 month later...

I am all for not fishing for bedding bass! Especially the stream smb. I for one, would love to take my son camping and smallie fishing on the fly rod in a few years and while I know the detriment of fishing bedding bass will not be seen then, if the practice keeps up, there might be a shortage of smallies for his son!

Andy