Bull for "First Timers"

Rwh46

• Members

I posted this on Upper Bull Shoals Forum back in December but thought I would add it to this Forum because I know there are members that don’t read both. If I’m being too redundant just delete the post, I’ll understand.

I've lived and fished in Missouri for over 40 years and am ashamed to admit I've never been on Bull Shoals. I fish all over the state TR, Lake O, Pomme, Stockton, Mark Twain, and I live on Lake St. Louis (near Wentzville) Anyway the bass club I started in 1985 has finally given up on KY Lake and we are looking to find a replacement for it. Our club is small, our tournaments are usually 10 boats are less and everyone is more or less retired fisherman. One guy in the club has hounded us for years to try Bull Shoals but he's the only one that's spent any time there (Oakland Area). Anyway we're doing it next year to see if it might work for us going forward. The lodging accomodations we need drove us to either the Theodosa area or down by the dam. We wound up picking Boondocks down by the dam and will be fishing there April 24-25, 2021. NEWS FLASH   I pulled an audible and made a major change to location for our April Tournament. We are going to launch out of Buck Creek Area and leave Howard Creek and the dam!!!! I was always nervous about fishing so close to the dam. It limits the directions you can go and type of water to fish. After reading this Forum and Lower BS I heard about Lakewoods Resort up near Protem. After talking to the owners I felt like their place and the "mid Lake" Area fit our clubs needs better Some overall help on general areas to fish (not looking for anyone's honey hole) just areas to start looking in would be helpful. What will the bass be doing at that time of the year (normally) prespawn, spawning or post. We've heard that the water levels this year were extraordinarily HIGH. Is that because of flood control issues or unusual weather. Real question is "Will it likely occur again next year" or was this year a fluke.? We have our lodging set but how about bait and tackle places? How about good places to eat (homestyle is our favorite choice). 5 of us run BassCats with Yamaha outboards. Is there a marina or dealership near by for support? I know I asking for the "whole enchalada" in help, but I'd like to get our guys a good start for their 1st time on Bull Shoals in looking for fish, food and help (if needed). I consider this forum the "Chamber of Commerce" for fishermen so I'd appreciate the help

Mike Worley on this forum retired as a guide on that lake a couple of years ago. I do not know if he is still aroud, but a pm to him might get you some information.

• Members

thanks, what was his forum  name? i don't know how to look him up by his full name. There's probably a way but i'm a dummie on most of this stuff

• Members

Sent him a PM but no response. His website is for sale, he hasn't been active on his facebook page or his Linkedin one since 2017 either. Kinda like he dropped off the face of the earth. Hope nothing serious happened to him. Anyway thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep looking for help

• Members

Buck Creek is a fantastic area.  Lakewoods is a great resort and the Buck Creek Marina is a top notch.  With that said it is all very remote with no restaurants, or service facilities for your boats/motors.  The draw for this area is the remoteness of it, but being remote and secluded comes with a price.  Your best option for mid-lake would be the Lead Hill, AR area.  Just my opinion.  High water will be more likely than not.  It used to be a fluke but that hasn't been the case over the past 10 years or so.  Good luck

• Members

Thanks for the testimony on Lakewoods. In talking to them on the phone they sound like the kind of people you "want to get to know" I've read some good reports on this Forum regarding Buck Creek as well as 3 & 5 fingers, not to mention the 2 sugarloafs. Most of that info came from 2008-2014 time frame though. Like you said flukes worked well back then but now ???? Maybe COVID changed the pattern & bait selection. HA!!! Anyway thanks for the input

1 hour ago, Rwh46 said:

Thanks for the testimony on Lakewoods. In talking to them on the phone they sound like the kind of people you "want to get to know" I've read some good reports on this Forum regarding Buck Creek as well as 3 & 5 fingers, not to mention the 2 sugarloafs. Most of that info came from 2008-2014 time frame though. Like you said flukes worked well back then but now ???? Maybe COVID changed the pattern & bait selection. HA!!! Anyway thanks for the input

I think he is referring to the lake being high as a fluke back then.  

• Members
6 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I think he is referring to the lake being high as a fluke back then.  

Good catch, you're right. And high water does not seem to be as much a "fluke" anymore