Walleye

Amish Bill

I am new to this lake,actually lets say new to fishing I havn't fished since I was a kid. Now I've sold the farm and bought a boat.

I mainly fish for crappie but would really like to find the walleye. I have been fishing mainly from masters towards the dam. A friend told me not to fish north of mutton creek on the other side, any suggestions on this and what kind of lures or bait to use is appreciated.

"Life's too short to fish with a dead minner..."

Yesterday we caught some keeper walleye along bluffy banks on plastics. They were 10-15' deep. Color or type of plastic didn't seem to matter as long as it was a dark color, but it was cloudy, windy, and cold.

I appreciate it Dutch, I'm going after Christmas and give it a try. I heard about drop shot, or I guess it would be just tight line fishing the way I understood the it. Anyway it sounded like it would work good in the winter when the fish are gatherd up in their winter pool.

Thanks again Dutch, I was about to ask if that would work on walleye but I think Quillback answered that. When I was about 12 I took a 4H trip to Cannon falls Minnisota to learn their hog farming technics, the family I stayed with liked to fish, I remember they used nightcrawlers pumped up with air. I wonder if that would work with the drop shot?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You could try lindy rigging. I use this system with a nightcrawler pump full of air to get the crawler just off bottom. I would start out with a one foot leader to the hook and crawler. If there is wind just slip drift the area your fishing. You can do a search on lindy rigging to learn more or I'll be glad to talk you through it.

• 2 weeks later...

Amish Bill, I hope you are getting out there. I am catching keeper walleye everytime I go. They are pretty deep but are hitting a variety of baits.