Master Instructor

Has anyone ever attempted to do this? I am going to study for it and take the test some day. How hard was it? How long would you recomend to study for it? Thanks in advance!

"Its clearly Bree time baby!"

Member: 2009 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Czech Republic. 7th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Slovakia. 4th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed The America Cup. 4th Place Team

Thanks guys.

"Its clearly Bree time baby!"

Member: 2009 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Czech Republic. 7th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed Slovakia. 4th Place Team

Member: 2010 U.S. Youth Fly-Fishing Team. Competed The America Cup. 4th Place Team

• Root Admin

I am, too, interested in taking the test. After I get my USCG 6-pack out of the way, I want to start on it.

So whatever you find out, let me (us) know.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Root Admin

From Gary Borger's site

http://www.garyborger.com/Data/FFF%20Casti...tification.html

As a founding Board Member of the FFF Casting Certification Program, I have witnessed the growth of both the Program and the wide-spread acceptance of its validity in the fly fishing community.

There are many candidates each year applying for certification, and I am fortunate to be involved in certifying them both at the Casting Instructor (CI) and Master Casting Instructor (MCI) levels at various events across the U.S.

I find that many candidates at both the CI and MCI levels are not prepared for the rigors of the exams. Most often I witness the following gaps in preparation.

1. Candidates have good head knowledge of casting but are poorly prepared for the practical exam involving both the casting process and the teaching of it. Please remember that the FFF exams are teaching oriented. At both the CI and MCI levels, candidates assume that they need to be able to demonstrate casting ability to the exclusion of teaching. Please do not make that mistake. You must be able to cast, of course, but you must also be able to teach in a way that is easily understood by those who know little or nothing about casting and fly fishing.

2. All those that do the certification want to see the candidates relaxed in their casting and teaching approach. Yes, it is an exam and everyone understands that the candidate will be under some stress. This is in part intentional because the candidate should be able to cast as if he/she had been doing it for years, not for just the past few weeks in preparation for the exam.

3. Spey casting is essential, but so is all the rest of it. You must understand casting and be able to execute it from experience, not just from text-book knowledge. It’s OK to repeat what an experienced caster has written, but then that information must also be in your hands and in your explanation.

4. Don’t try to take the MCI for at least a year after you complete the CI. The difference in these exams is huge. The MCI exam is tough, tough, tough. Remember, anyone that is certified at the MCI level has the privilege in helping to certify CI candidates AND has the potential of being elected to the BOG. Being a BOG member is NOT only an honor, it is a privilege, and it is bestowed only on those who exhibit the highest ability in ALL the teaching aspects and practical aspects of casting and fly fishing. When I test an MCI candidate, I am always asking myself, “Does this person have what is needed to certify CI candidates and to be a BOG member.”

5. Teach, teach, teach, cast, cast, cast, fish, fish, fish. The more you teach under the guidance of someone who is certified, the greater your knowledge base becomes and the easier the exams will be. The more you cast, the easier and more relaxed your casting will be. The more you fish, the broader you overall knowledge base will become.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Allan Crise in Texas, is a MCI, and he has classes two or three times a year for people wanting to become certified as a CCI or MCI.

If anyone wants his email address PM me and I will give it to you.

Brian Ellis in St. Louis is a MCI and I think Jim Rogers down at Bennett has one too. Might look up Jim Laing and his running buddy Brad Eilering in Bellville, IL as well. Not sure if Jim and Brad have completed their MCI certification yet but they should get it eventually. I know that youll have to get your CCI first, then do a lot of teaching before you will be considered for an MCI. Good luck.

• Members

Howdy Gang

Some years ago I was on the CCI trail. I went to the FFF site

www.fedflyfisher.org and read what was needed. Then I bought some videos and Books. Took many hours of lessons at conclaves, FF shows and anywhere I could. At last, I was ready to take my CCI test. Passing the written was the half way point, so I thought. Nervous was an understatement. I could not tie the yarn on my tippet.... Well I was now in what is refereed to a "Training Session". Loops are the name of the game. Now to make them. How to control them, and How to get your student to make them. How to fix problems and the the TERMS that any good CCI should be using I wash out of course. Try two went better. Still not what they wanted. Back to school better rod. Better line. That was all I just had to buy better stuff. That would make be a better instructor. NOT>

Try three was a walk in the park I had studied, cast and cast some more but what I did the most was to teach, teach and teach.

Now I was a Certified Casting Instructor. I was on a high. Then I found that this only opened the door to more Study, Teaching, and casting. I was on the Masters trail. Several years went into this study. I was sure I was ready to take the FFF MASTER CASTING INSTRUCTORS test.

The first two try gave me things I had to master. Teaching Casting and control of that loop. After try two I met Gordy Hill. He and I started E mailing each other. This was the turning point for me.

Try three was one of those days at Gulf Shores, AL where the wind blew off the Gulf at 30+ mph

I was "ON" that day. With lots of help from Above, following many prayers I DID.

What I found lacking in mid America was someone to learn from. Some where to learn. Where to hear and discuss Fly Casting. I started having CCI Clinics here on my Ranch. The Instructors are CCIs, the students are green to advanced and some are on the CCI trail. These clinics have helped many on the road. Many have just enjoyed the chance to learn more about casting.

So I now try to help anyone I can along the CCI trail. If you are still thinking of changing your lifestyle to a

'Casting Junky' Then we might become friends.

Have questions Ask, I will try.

ol Al