Information On Bv Lakes

EddieRay

• Members

My wife and I are staying at a resort in Bella Vista at the end of May and I planned on fishing some of the lakes there. I've been researching the place on the Internet and I noticed that some of you are regulars on those lakes. Could you fellows provide your opinions on the following questions?

• Which of the BV lakes are the best for catching large bass?
  • Which of the BV lakes are best for numbers?
  • Is there a lake that provides a combination of both numbers and large bass?
  • Which lake would be best for crappie? (My wife prefers to fish for crappie and numbers so I have to keep her needs in mind.)
  • What is the clarity, depth, and typical cover on these lakes?

I have already found out the information I need regarding fees and guest cards. Any other information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge." (Daniel J Boorstin)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you my 2 cents:

As far as best lake for big bass - Hard to say, I saw a photo of a 12.5 lb. bass caught in Brittany this spring, Brittany certainly has some big bass and is not too bad for average size fish either. Windsor is a good lake for big bass, but getting any over 8 lbs. is tough, there are decent numbers of 4 - 7lb. bass in Windsor. Avalon also has some big bass, my personal best, 9.5 lbs. (approximately) came from Avalon. Lake Ann also has some good bass in the 4 - 7 lb. range.

Numbers? You can catch a bunch of 10-12 inch bass on Avalon. Windsor and Ann are good for numbers and better average size. I have not fished Loch Lomond much in the last few years, but it has decent numbers of bass also.

Crappie? Crappie fishing is tough in the BV lakes, lots of pressure. If you can go out and catch 6 keeper crappie in a day, you're doing darn good. If I had to choose a lake for crappie, I'd probably go to Avalon, lots of brush piles and they stocked several thousand fingerlings in there a couple of years ago and they should be around keepers sized by now.

The lakes are fairly murky right now from the rains we received this spring, but unless there's a gully washer before you get here, they should be in great shape by the end of May.

When you get close to coming down here, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what's going on.

Another option for your wife, if she likes panfish, is there are some good bluegills (8-10") in Lakes Ann, Windsor, and Loch Lomond. I like to use a #8 Eagle Claw longshank panfish hook, and a split shot (no bobber), use a redworm hooked one tijme through the middle, or a cricket and fish flats 6 -10 feet deep.

• All Arkansas fishing regulations apply to Bella Vista Village’s lakes.
• An Arkansas fishing license is required.
• A current state and POA boat registration is required before using any boats on the POA’s lakes.
• Property owners with a current POA-issued photo identification card do not pay a lake use fee.
• Property owners without a POA-issued photo identification card pay a a lake use fee.
• Guests must have a current guest card and pay a lake use fee unless accompanied by a member with a current POA-issued photo identification card.

Not certain if you are a guest or poa member but thought you may want this info... If you are neither and wish to avoid paying the fee's and im assuming your a boater I would suggest Beaver Lake it is close by and much more friendly. In Bella Vista Area is Little Sugar and it is a very nice smallmouth fishery. A little North is the ELK river and about an hour east is the Upper White River. We are truly blessed around here to have great options and scenery.

++ what Quillback said. Loch Lomond used to kick out a 12 or 13 annually, but I'm out of touch with recent times.

++++ especially on the bream for entertainment & eatin' value, and add Avalon's redear to the list. Crappie's pretty much a waste of time anywhere.

I can't dance like I used to.

• Members

Thanks for all the info, Quillback. I'm not looking for 10 - 12 inchers but in case I need to go out and put the wife on some fish to make her happy, that is some information I need to know. I'll keep the bluegill option in the back of my mind as well. It sounds like there are some decent lakes there and I am looking forward to trying them out. We will be going down there on May 26th. I will send you a PM when the time is close.

Not certain if you are a guest or poa member but thought you may want this info... If you are neither and wish to avoid paying the fee's and im assuming your a boater I would suggest Beaver Lake it is close by and much more friendly. In Bella Vista Area is Little Sugar and it is a very nice smallmouth fishery. A little North is the ELK river and about an hour east is the Upper White River. We are truly blessed around here to have great options and scenery.

Thanks for that info, Feathers and Fins. We are guests at a resort there and I will be purchasing temporary boat registration for the week. Per the Lake use fee document, guests with this registration do not have to pay the Lake Use Fee. See the excerpt below from that document. If I am not understanding this document correctly, let me know, but the people at the resort told me the same thing so I hope this is correct. We will be paying for the motorized weekly permit, and of course we will be using Arkansas fishing licenses. If I were a property owner there I wouldn't be happy with every Tom, Dick, or Harry coming in and using the lakes that I paid POA fees to use and upkeep so I am not one to violate the rules.

LAKE USE FEE

Who Must Purchase a Lake Use Permit?

• A guest, 12 years of age and older, who is not physically accompanied by a member with a current POA-issued photo-identification card and who is participating in any activity on Bella Vista Village lakes.
• A member, who has not purchased a POA-issued photo-identification card and who is participating in any activity on Bella Vista Village lakes.
• A holder of a V.I.P. (or similar) card issued by Cooper Communities, Inc., including the “Greens” and “Escapes!”, who is participating in any activity on Bella Vista Village lakes.
• A holder of any other valid guest card, who is participating in any activity on Bella Vista Village lakes.

Who Is Not Required to Purchase a Lake Use Permit?

• A guest who is physically accompanied by a member with a current POA-issued photo-identification card.
• A member with a current POA-issued photo-identification card in his or her possession.
• A member with a current “30-day identification Card” in his or her possession.
• A child that is 12 years of age and younger.
A guest or a member with current temporary boat registration documentation.
• A guest or a member renting a boat or pontoon from the Loch Lomond Marina.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge." (Daniel J Boorstin)

• Members

++ what Quillback said. Loch Lomond used to kick out a 12 or 13 annually, but I'm out of touch with recent times.

++++ especially on the bream for entertainment & eatin' value, and add Avalon's redear to the list. Crappie's pretty much a waste of time anywhere.

Thanks, bfishn. I had actually read that there was some decent redear fishing down there so that is something I will keep in mind also.

• Members

Oh, I have one more question. Are all of the ramps at these lakes paved and acceptable to put a bassboat in? I have a 19.5 ft Stratos Pro Elite with a 200 horse motor. I believe that some of them are electric only so I will have to only use my trolling motor at those particular lakes. I also saw somewhere that the recommended speed is only 35 mph on the larger lakes so I'll have to take it easy with the big motor I guess. Is all of this information correct?

All good ramps (kinda close quarters), easy launch, stable water levels. Lomond, Windsor and Ann are the "big" lakes, and the only ones you can get on plane on (or need to), and then only past the bouys.

For bait/tackle, see Hook Line & Sinker on the east side of 71 across from Lowes (towards Bentonville). Turn east at the light at Benton County 40 (Jack Crabtree Rd), then an immediate right on the access road. A tube of crickets are good to take for the bream if the wigglers don't satisfy. If Nick's there you can get a good lowdown on current activity.

Lots of good eats around, I recommend Flying Fish just off the Bentonville square.

Good Luck!

I can't dance like I used to.

None of the lakes are "electric only", but the smaller lakes, Norwood, Rayburn, Avalon, and Brittany are no wake lakes. You can use your big motor on these lakes but no wake allowed.