Minimum Flows

nymphermaniac

• Members

"When it's all said and done, you guys up in MO might have the only wadeable water left. Enjoy it. As it stands I'm planning a trip over to the Norfork this weekend to fish some of the last wadeable water we'll see in AR."

Wow. CFowler, I don't know where all this is coming from. The ONLY thing I will agree with you is you have to be on your toes if you are not by the dam because the water is already higher than what we are use to. After two weeks of off and on minimum flow, I and most experienced fisher-people agree, this is a good thing. The fish are fat, happy and stressless. I really don't know where you are wading. Up by the dam, I wade right directly in front of the second window on the dam, about 50 down river of the restricted signs and the water is below my knees. Yes, there are holes, I have not found one spot up to my hips, I am 5'10" tall. The fishing has been well above average. You have to change your presentation and adjust. Politics is not an issue, the reason ACE wanted to do this is to get more colder water into the system. It is up to you to figure it out after that. As far as hurting the little guy without a boat, No. A pair of waders is all you need, you don't need a boat.

Nighthawk:

Forget all the stuff we use to due in zero generation until we return to zero generation after the fall. I don't mind sharing my and other guides success in MF. Use 6X, instead of small, 24 or 26 midges, use 18 or 20. The best results have been on Anna K's tied by Ron Mcquay, available at Copper John's and Jimmy T's, and Cotter fly shop. Green, purple, blue and red are working the best in that order. The long swing is when you will get most of your strikes. After you cast, keep a tight line all the way through your swing, throw it 90 degrees across the flow. Ron also ties a smaller White River Special which also works good. Surprised a small W.B. didn't work, they have been producing nice fish, fished the same way as the Anna K's. Take advantage of the MF, don't stand in pockets with no or little current.

Just my two cents worth.

Col Ron

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Root Admin

The real benefit to MF is more flow and better life in the river.

Taneycomo- when we have good, constant flow for months on end, our bug population explodes and of course our trout growth does too. When it's off for long periods of time, bug population drops dramatically and it takes a long time for it to bounce back. I'm talking mostly scuds although I think sow bugs and midges benefit when the flow is constant.

Other insects do better too and would flourish if Taneycomo went to a minimum flow, IMO. I think MDC fisheries biologist would agree.

So the question is: Does the benefits of better fish growth/health outweigh the lack of wading possibilities, no matter how slight that may be? Depends I guess if you have a boat and/or the knowledge to work around the higher flows on land.

I think that's where this forum may help those who don't have a boat and rely on wading only. The more people that weigh in on this the better.

Thanks Ron for your help. And I think others like Mr. Fowler can help with boat fishing.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Hopefully the horror of seeing this great river reduced to a trickle without regard to the fishery is over. When the White River was dead low easy wading access came at the expense fish habitat, there’s no doubt the increased flow will have a benefit.

We have all fished these flows before; the only difference is that now they are sustained rather than tailing out.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

For the record, Iussd my yak yesterday during minus flow. It was possible to paddle upstream, but not especially easy. I wet waded extensively up to waist deep without much issue and that was in Tevas rather than a real wading shoe or boot. I fished for about 3 hours ; I caught and released 34 fish. I quick released another dozen or so.

But by all means, abandon the White and Norfork Rivers and move to Missouri. Lol

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

For the record, Iussd my yak yesterday during minus flow. It was possible to paddle upstream, but not especially easy. I wet waded extensively up to waist deep without much issue and that was in Tevas rather than a real wading shoe or boot. I fished for about 3 hours ; I caught and released 34 fish. I quick released another dozen or so.

But by all means, abandon the White and Norfork Rivers and move to Missouri. Lol

You'll be fishing about 8000 cfs on the NFoW right now, stupid rain!

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

• Members

post-9941-0-38751200-1375568642.jpgNice fishing with you today, although it was slow. For some reason it picked up after you left??? Tim and I walked out at 2:55pm. Good thing, they kicked it on, at about 2:59, no horn. It is really important to watch your favorite rock out there and keep an eye on it.

Yep Ron I enjoyed it. One of these days when they run a little bit of water, we'll have to Zig Jig a few dozen up.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

• Members

I never fished at any point in the last 15 years and thought, this fishery is broken we need to fix. Well maybe when I watch the bait guides anchor in front of my place and gut hook dozens of fish that will likely die. You can always make an argument for better habitat. There were fish kills due to temp during summers in the past, not in marginal areas. So for those times it'll be good as well as the spawn. That said, the Feds are mandated a certain amount to stock every year, so mathematically none of it will affect population. There will be more food for sure, so it can't hurt the fish. From a spawn standpoint it's not water level but rather fluctuation to worry about. Would have prob prioritized DO over min flow, I am not alone there.

I have a place just down from Gastons and know the river as well as anyone I assure you. The fish are always fat and happy,catching numbers and quality has never been difficult. The new reg on the browns made a difference. If there is any study coming out in 5 years referring to min flow as the reason for the better browns instead of the new size reg would you believe it? I spent enough time in state gov resource management to know how it works. I was a wildlife biologist and got out of for the politics and pay. I think it's funny that everyone touts all the pluses and doesn't mention any possible negative consequences. Thought folks might value a different perspective. My point merely pertains to access. Having fished all over the country for trout I was pretty happy with it as it was. Maybe it will be better, time will tell but it isn't all roses for everyone guys. Folks arent all jumpin for joy in the fly shops around here. You might want to give some consideration to others perspectives, it got pretty defensive out there pretty fast.

As it relates to this matter, I defer to the intent of the management plan and the agreement in the mitigation document. I have honestly not read either.

• Root Admin

Not everyone got defensive... I wouldn't take it that way at all. Unfortunately, we are limited on the people that post on the White River compared to John Wilson's forum. I haven't read his to see what people think of MF there.

I'm sure access has to be more limited with more flow, especially for folks who can't wade in more current. Tailwaters aren't the easiest to wade no matter what the flow is.

Please Mr Fowler keep posting your prospectives... I for one am appreciative of your views especially with your background and experience.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg